Author Topic: End mills for Hong Kong?  (Read 13669 times)

Offline piper1

End mills for Hong Kong?
« on: January 11, 2014, 02:43:44 PM »
Hi Does anyone use or would recommend purchasing Fluted end mills from Hong Kong, via ebay.
Sorry if this is a stupid question.
Going to try and use a miller for the first time so I'm looking at getting some bits and bobs together (end mills).

Thanks for looking

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
Re: End mills for Hong Kong?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 02:51:33 PM »
I have had  good experiences with CTC Tools.
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 02:56:10 PM »
Can only recommend CTC tools, his cuttings tools are great. The delivery time can sometimes be a little bit long. But quality on the tools he sells is top notch.

Curiculum; The man running CTC tools is Danish, and sells alot to scandinavian, and specificly danish industries.
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline piper1

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 03:06:20 PM »
Thank you so much for the advice.

Can I ask another question please, does non-centre-cutting mean the end mill can't do a plunge cuts?

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 03:09:02 PM »
Yes... and "noaeehhyeah".. a non centre cutter can do a plunge cut, but its hard, unless you plunge on an edge like 50% of the cutter..
But they are not made for it and the break easily. *looking at my box of boken cutters*
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline piper1

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 03:11:34 PM »
Yes... and "noaeehhyeah".. a non centre cutter can do a plunge cut, but its hard, unless you plunge on an edge like 50% of the cutter..
But they are not made for it and the break easily. *looking at my box of boken cutters*

Thank you.

Offline drmico60

• mikesworkshop
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 03:15:31 PM »
I have purchased from CTC and quality is excellent. Also good are Richon Tools and much cheaper than CTC!!!
Mike

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 03:28:03 PM »
I have purchased from CTC and quality is excellent. Also good are Richon Tools and much cheaper than CTC!!!
Mike

I too have use Richon tools a number of times and found them to be excellent  :thumbup: :thumbup:

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline piper1

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 03:44:01 PM »
Thank you for the replies Mike & Tim.

Offline mechman48

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 04:33:51 PM »
I've used CTC for some time now, good quality cutters, have just had delivery of 4 cutters today, 2x10mm & 2x11 mm, delivery time can be a while... up to 3 weeks, but for quality & price...CTC. Have bought Richon tools & seems as good as CTC.

George

George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 06:18:03 PM »

Can I ask another question please, does non-centre-cutting mean the end mill can't do a plunge cuts?

In a pinch I have used a drill to start a plunge cut with a non center cutting end mill. You need to remove the material that is under the center of the end mill.

Joe

Offline piper1

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 06:33:32 PM »
I've used CTC for some time now, good quality cutters, have just had delivery of 4 cutters today, 2x10mm & 2x11 mm, delivery time can be a while... up to 3 weeks, but for quality & price...CTC. Have bought Richon tools & seems as good as CTC.

George

Thanks George, I just placed a small order with Richon tools.
Not really knowing exactly what I'm doing at the moment but I got to start somewhere I guess.

I found the shipping charges pretty high from CTC so going to leave that one for a little while, plus Richon's delivery time appears to be a lot better.

My Drive is to be able to make a radius turning attachment for my lathe.

Kev

Offline piper1

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 06:34:45 PM »

In a pinch I have used a drill to start a plunge cut with a non center cutting end mill. You need to remove the material that is under the center of the end mill.

Joe

Thank you for the tip Joe much appreciated.

Kev

Offline bp

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 08:06:03 PM »
I can only endorse what others have said about CTC and Richon Tools.
My only comment, and its a minor one, is that expensive cutters can provide a better surface finish.  So I tend to use CTC/Richon gear as roughing, and if the feature requires a good finish, the final cut may be with a Dormer/Sutton/Clarkson etc.  However when the cost difference is considered I use the Hong Kong cutters for probably 90 to 95% of my milling.
cheers
Bill

Offline piper1

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 06:54:28 AM »
I can only endorse what others have said about CTC and Richon Tools.
My only comment, and its a minor one, is that expensive cutters can provide a better surface finish.  So I tend to use CTC/Richon gear as roughing, and if the feature requires a good finish, the final cut may be with a Dormer/Sutton/Clarkson etc.  However when the cost difference is considered I use the Hong Kong cutters for probably 90 to 95% of my milling.
cheers
Bill

Thank you.
I will try CTC at some point, just need to curve the spending at the moment.
looking forward to the bits I've ordered from Richon.

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2014, 11:31:01 AM »
yeah scavenging ebay or similar for used Sandvik ISCAR or Dormer cutters - resharpened or not usually pays off.. they have completely different finishing. But the nice thing with chinese carbides you dont weep when you crash them :D

Offline geoff_p

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 09:22:45 AM »
Kev (piper1), I had dealings with these people (in USA) a couple of years ago:

J.R.'s Tool Crib Inc.
(330) 784-7444 phone
(330) 784-7480 fax
jrstool@att.net email

LR, the person I dealt with, was extremely friendly, amazed to have a sale to Thailand, of all places, and quite understands small/model-engineers.

They work with HSS and carbide (mostly the latter) and charged me very little for the bits-and-bobs I wanted. And shipping was a mere 7USD i.e. actual cost.

Give 'em a try.

Geoff,
Aranyaprathet, Thailand - warmer by far than Shetland, where I used to live.

Offline piper1

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 11:44:33 AM »
Kev (piper1), I had dealings with these people (in USA) a couple of years ago:

J.R.'s Tool Crib Inc.
(330) 784-7444 phone
(330) 784-7480 fax
jrstool@att.net email

LR, the person I dealt with, was extremely friendly, amazed to have a sale to Thailand, of all places, and quite understands small/model-engineers.

They work with HSS and carbide (mostly the latter) and charged me very little for the bits-and-bobs I wanted. And shipping was a mere 7USD i.e. actual cost.

Give 'em a try.

Geoff,
Aranyaprathet, Thailand - warmer by far than Shetland, where I used to live.

Thanks Geoff I will drop them a line.

Cheers
Kev

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 11:56:13 AM »
Well I've just placed an order with Richon Tools prompted by this thread, and I must say they've been excellent with their email responses today. Proof of the pudding is when the good arrive though !

Andrew
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline piper1

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 12:05:40 PM »
Fingers crossed Andrew, in best speed we hope.

Offline kayz1

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2014, 07:38:09 PM »
I too have just placed an order with Richon tools,, think i went a bit mad seeing the prices campared to the prices i have been paying.
Time will tell if they are worth it or not..
 Lyn.

Offline teegee

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2014, 09:12:26 AM »
Thanks for the Richon tools link -- I'd never heard of them. Last time I tried to order from CTC, I cancelled due to the postage being a total killer. And I'm in Singapore, which is just the next giant sea/air-freight hub over.

I think it was $80 postage for a $150 dollar order. So I thought I'd just order more stuff to improve the ratio (heh), and ended up with $150 shipment on a $250 order (or something). No thanks.. It was reasonably heavy stuff though, 5c collet set, drill chucks, etc.

Cheers!

Rob

Offline Deko

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2014, 12:17:41 PM »
I bought quite a few slot drills from Richon a few years ago. Still using them and no trouble so far.
I just hope for the sake of all those of you who have just placed an order, that they manage to get your order in the post BEFORE the Chinese new year starts. If not you could be waiting for many weeks.

Cheers Dek. :med:

Offline piper1

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2014, 12:12:58 PM »
End mills arrived today, well chuffed.
From ordering to landing on the door step 10 day, pretty good me thinks. :clap:

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2014, 12:24:09 PM »
Yes mine also arrived today from Hong Kong.

I ordered:

10 off 6 mm carbide two flute end mills
 2 off 22 mm HSS long series two flute end mills
 2 off 16 mm four flute HSS roughing cutters

They seem ok apart from the roughing cutters - they have had the helix ground so roughly it's raised a burr that in places increases the cutter diameter to 16.2 mm. I've emailed a picture of the issue to Richon and am awaiting their response.

I know they call them roughing cutters, but I'd like the finish allowance left to finish a part !

They came remarkably quickly
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex