Author Topic: Help for the Aged..  (Read 8244 times)

Offline rotorhead

Help for the Aged..
« on: January 25, 2014, 07:55:17 PM »
Hi Lads,

Been playing in my workshop...

Several months ago I obtained a lump of heavy walled tubing, then bought a 250kg Electric Hoist from Lidl for £50, since then work got in the way of development.

I've had a few days off this Xmas and obtained a lump of universal beam 130 x 80 not sure of kg/m, but it seems just right section.

In order to get it atop my miller, I built it in disassembling sections, the pic below should show this approach.

Also made a longer winding handle, I should have made this years ago, it gives far better sensitivity.

I also bought this Harrison lathe handwheel off eBay, and fixed it up to fit the X slide as a permanent fitment, it does however disengage for safety.

Chris
Sunny Scunny,
North Lincolnshire.

Offline krv3000

Re: Help for the Aged..
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 08:16:08 PM »
nice work

Offline rotorhead

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 08:19:41 PM »
Thanks krv3000
Chris
Sunny Scunny,
North Lincolnshire.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 04:51:32 AM »
Nicely done!  :clap: :clap:

Any extra leverage, in any direction is a great help at times.........  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 05:37:35 AM »
Nice one  :thumbup:

I'm going to have to be quite inventive to get my 4th axis unit on and off my CNC mill, but can't use a system similar to yours as it is in an enclosure.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 06:21:07 AM »
Bloody hell Andrew you have enough room you could hire a fork truck from france, drive it thru the Channel Tunnel and pop it in thru the enclosure doors on the Partmaster.  :)
John Stevenson

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 06:36:21 AM »
Good to have you back John  :clap:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline rotorhead

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 07:34:21 AM »
Hi Lads,

Thanks for the comments, I'm a bit stuck for space in all directions, I've already overtaxed the roof beams previously, making them leave a puddle hollow on the flat roof above.

It's just that I'm no longer strong enough, with other complications, to lift the equipment on and off, my son isn't always around when needed...

I've also finished another little project with my ER collet range, started with ER32, then got some ER50 collets, and latterly bought some ER40 sizes, to fill in between the others...

Whilst doing the MT5 taper thought I'd make a wiper at the same time...

Chris
Sunny Scunny,
North Lincolnshire.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 08:57:29 AM »
Nice Chris  :thumbup:

What's the cunning cross milling device? Is it a Quickstep? It looks larger.  :scratch:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline rotorhead

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 01:41:23 PM »
Hi Andrew,

It's just a JCB pistol drill in a holder, I bought it especially for doing jobs like this, as the chuck bearings seem very positive.

My old Bosch drill is sadly past it's best, plus it's all plastic enclosure doesn't lend itself to side forces for long.

Chris
Sunny Scunny,
North Lincolnshire.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 02:13:09 PM »
You fiendish devil  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline rotorhead

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 06:17:02 PM »
Hi Andrew,

Needs must...

While I've got your attention Andrew, how do you get those smileys to work.

I tried dragging the selected smiley to where I intended it to be effective, but just got a load of script and no smiley.
Chris
Sunny Scunny,
North Lincolnshire.

Offline Pete49

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 10:33:49 PM »
Just left click on the smiley of choice :D
Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 10:37:27 PM »
Rotorhead, the smiley appears as script code at the draft stage of your post,when you press the post button it should appear as the smiley character. Note it will appear on your post wherever your cursor is at the time you select it.
Give it a try you can always modify  the post after if your not happy with it.

P.S. Looking at your photos has just reminded me why I had put a piece of seasoned beechwood on the shelf above the lathe,it was for making a couple of taper wipers with but I used it on Friday night to make some file handles because I couldn't remember what else I'd saved it for  :doh: .

Never mind there's more somewhere in my timber stack....OZ
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 05:14:31 AM »

I like your milling set up, nice and simple. It is now stored in the memory bank.

Cheers David

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 08:43:35 AM »
Hi Andrew,

Needs must...

While I've got your attention Andrew, how do you get those smileys to work.

I tried dragging the selected smiley to where I intended it to be effective, but just got a load of script and no smiley.

Chris, I think others have already sorted this for you. The hieroglyphs are put in position by a left click, and turn into the smiley when you post it 
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline rotorhead

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 05:31:23 PM »
Hi Lads,

Thanks everyone, for the help on the Smiley issue..

I'm going to start another thread regarding my Griptru chuck development.. :thumbup:
Chris
Sunny Scunny,
North Lincolnshire.

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2014, 06:50:57 PM »
If I may without stealing anyones thunder I did roughly the same but on a lathe a while ago

Started off with this lot from the local metal suppliers / fabricators.

The rotor in the barrow made from a propane bottle wasn't part of it. that's what it has to lift. My problem is this part of the shop is a low wooden building with a flat roof and only simple wooden rafter that can't support anything. The rear wall is just a dividing wall made from block and the end return is just that, a brick free standing pillar so there is no support from the building at all.

So first off turn a pin up out of the 3 1/2" round solid bar.

The two lands are the right size to go inside the long steel box section, the flats are clearance for the internal weld in the tube, Push into position and the two lands line up with 8 5/8" pre drilled holes and these are plug welded to hold the pin in place.

Then the upright has a floor plate welded on it and secured to the floor, this is more to stop it sliding under load as all the weight is taken downwards. A series of brackets are then welded on to fasten to the end of the lathe by four M12 HT bolts.
This is what is supporting the load when lifting.

The jib is the other piece of 3/8" wall box with a bush welded on the pivot end with nylon bushes. I like nylon for this as it's very forgiving and a natural brake to stop it swinging under load. Winch is the typical £50 Aldi special on some saddle brackets.

Quick road test with the rotor and it good, testing was done using the MK l strain gauge, I put my fingers above the jig and felt the clearance between the roof and the jib, when the load went it this dipped about 10mm which in my book is a pass.

Then to do the overload test as all lifting gear has to lift more than it's needed to so on the assumption you can't get two rotors in the lathe at once this is the test  :clap:

Again a 10mm drop, in fact no matter what i do i only get this 10mm drop which I put down to play in the nylon bushes.

Last mod was to fit an old spare rack that was kicking about to give easy of movement along the jib, plus a stop on the end.

Just timed it right as 3 days later according to the date stamp on the pictures this little bugger rolled up.

And fitted in the chuck - just, tailstock was on it's limit.

Been an absolute godsend when you are working on your own as I am.
John Stevenson

Offline rotorhead

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2014, 07:15:05 PM »
Hi John,

Actually it was your idea I pinched from another forum, but applied it to my circumstances, so thanks for that :beer:

Did you manage to get the overload to trip out then, what would be the weight of those two rotors?

All I'm lifting are a 10" rotab, a 12" machine vice and a dividing head @ about 60Kg, so don't think I'll need to even double up.

Like that variable lifting spreader :thumbup:
Chris
Sunny Scunny,
North Lincolnshire.

Offline RadRod67

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 07:58:09 AM »
Nice work both off you, I really like the taper wipers Chris, I was thinking about bottle brushes as rags on sticks are not the best.
Thanks Rod.

Offline rotorhead

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 09:09:33 AM »
Hi RadRod67,

Pleased you like it.

I wouldn't have thought of it, had it not been for the ones I'd previously purchased from Gloster Tooling in Bristol UK.

I bought an Int40, MT2 and MT3 sizes, but didn't get a reply for the MT5, so made my own whilst still set up for the ER40 chuck to Master MT5 taper.
Chris
Sunny Scunny,
North Lincolnshire.