Author Topic: What are these tools?  (Read 2813 times)

Offline RussellT

What are these tools?
« on: November 03, 2013, 12:03:27 PM »
The photo below shows three tools.  I've inherited all these from my father and I've been inspired to post this by seeing the top two on ebay where the seller appears to have even less idea what they are than I do.

I think the top two are tools given by Lloyds Register of Shipping to their surveyors.  The top one is a Chesterman 1692 and appears to be some sort of sliding measuring gauge - perhaps for measuring thickness through a hole?  Does anyone know for sure?

The second one is a Chesterman 2930 and I have no idea what it's used for.  Does anyone know?

The third one is unrelated and is marked "Universal" and on the back is stamped B1.  Again I've no idea what it's for.  Does anyone know?

Russell
Common sense is unfortunately not as common as its name suggests.

Offline Jonny

Re: What are these tools?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 12:26:53 PM »
1692 early type of wall thickness measurement.

2930 Quick check 45 or 60 degree visual angle, could be self made

Offline 90LX_Notch

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 03:12:44 PM »
I believe the "Universal" is the pin for the weight stacks on the old Universal exercise machines.

Found a link:
http://www.exercise-equipment-parts.com/universal-brand-weight-stack-selector-pin.html

edit- Add link to Universal pin
Former HMEM member.

Offline RussellT

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 04:51:43 PM »
Thanks for the comments so far.

Jonny, I'm pretty sure it's not home made, there's another exactly like it on ebay uk at the moment.  If I'm right in thinking they were given to surveyors then I think it's probably for measuring something that might wear.  I'm still curious about the first two.

On the other hand I'm totally convinced by 90LX_Notch.  Thank you for identifying it.  At least now I can throw it out without later discovering it's vital for some other piece of gear I have.  It remains a mystery (and probably always will) how my father came by it.  To the best of my knowledge he never touched an exercise machine in his life.

Russell
Common sense is unfortunately not as common as its name suggests.