Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Rounding Over Jig

(1/8) > >>

Bernd:
When I started my index head thread I discovered I needed to make a few jigs to make the clamp that will hold the spindle from turning. That piece is made from aluminum. Here's what I ended up with. You'll notice that the corners still need to be rounded.

I did some brain storming as to how I was going to do it.  :med: The easy way would be to use a rotary table but unfortunately I don't have one at the moment. So I needed to come up with something else. I remembered that Marv Klotz had made a small round over jig for doing small links for steam engines and such. Here's his Round Over Jig

This gave me the idea to make something similar but a bit bigger. This is not going to be a how to with dimensions. Just a few pics of how I did it with a short explanation.

Here are all the parts. The table (upside down), the square drawbar holder with the appropriate holes, the draw bar, a 5/16" centering pin, and the bolt and washers to draw the drawbar tight.

The square bar attached to the table with the draw rod in place with the washers.

A quick shot of what it looks like before inserting the locating pin.

Here it is right side up with the locating pin installed and clamped tight.

And a picture of the whole works clamped up in the vise ready for some action. I still need to add some stop blocks. That will come with the first job.

Now here's the dilemma. I ordered a 10" rotary table yesterday after clearing it with the CFO. It should be here next week. So the question is, do I wait for the table to get here or do I try out my jig and possibly ruin the clamp?

Stay tuned and find out.

Bernd

P.S. Ralph, this is how I thought of rounding over the square ends on this part.

Darren:
 :worthless:

Get the drift here Bernd....  :poke:

Bernd:
My ISP provider for my website is having problems apperantly. I did notice earlier they were loading very slowly for haveing a DSL line. Stay tuned.

Bernd

12:45 PM. Looks like my ISP is back up and running. Enjoy the pics.

Darren:
Let you off then  :whip:

Looks good btw, be interesting to see how well this works  :thumbup:

bogstandard:
You made it, you gotta use it!!

Bogs

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version