Author Topic: Tired 3jaw chuck do I buy collets ?  (Read 7545 times)

Offline Trebor

Tired 3jaw chuck do I buy collets ?
« on: July 25, 2013, 10:36:48 AM »
My 3 jaw is well past it so I was thinking about a set of collets. Looking at Myford site is a bit above my pocket only they have collets which screw directly onto main spindle. I take it this allows you to pass bar through headstock ? I looked at rdg tools at these but on a MT2 I would loose the ability to pass 15mm bar through head.

ER40 Collet Chuck's and Collet Sets

RDG Tools Catalogue | Collet Chucks and Collets | ER Collet Range / "Full Section" | ER40 Collet Chuck Systems |  ER40 Collet Chuck's and Collet Sets
    2MT - ER40 COLLET CHUCK AND FULL 28PC COLLET SET (3-30mm)
Ref: 675544

2MT - ER40 COLLET CHUCK (3-30mm)
M10 DRAWBAR
AND FULL 28PC ER40 COLLET SET
RANGE 3-30MM AND IMPERIAL EQUIVELENT
THE COLLETS ARE SUPPLIED IN FITTED ALUIMIUM BOX, THE CHUCK COMES IN PLASTIC TUBE
THIS COLLET SET WILL HOLD THREADED AND STRAIGHT SHANK ENDMILLS / DRILL BITS ETC
More...   

Price: £164.58
Free UK Mainland Postage

(£197.50 Including VAT at 20%)   
So would the collet inserts from rdg tools fit myford collets ?

Offline tekfab

Re: Tired 3jaw chuck do I buy collets ?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 11:05:23 AM »
Gloster tooling have a good selection as well and sometimes their catalogue is clearer.

Mike

Offline Trebor

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 11:09:34 AM »
 :thumbup:

Offline Trebor

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 11:56:20 AM »
Had a look and found this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gloster-100mm-ER40-Lathe-Chuck-Quality-/370746521131?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item565236f62b
I might have a spare back plate, will you be able to pass bar through the back of this collet holder ?

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 12:56:09 PM »
I was looking at earlier postings and note that you have a Myford of some sort. Unfortunately, I am still in some doubt which model is yours.

However, if I was a newcomer with limited funds, the last thing on my mind would be a set of collets or even a three jaw SC chuck. I would be following a time honoured way of having a set of centres, a faceplate and then 4 jaw independent chuck.

If you buy a set of collets or a self centring chuck you will be limited to holding round stock whereas the faceplate and or the independent will handle most shapes including round stock.

By all means, add to your accessories when things permit but get your priorities right.

Offline Trebor

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 01:38:48 PM »
I have a myford s7, I would be using round bar most of the time, mainly 10 to 15mm with 20 to 25mm tube every now and again. Would be nice to be able to take parts out and put them back without too much hassle. My 3jaw can be way out.

Offline chipenter

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 05:36:46 PM »
I have made a collet chuck for my South Bend and they will hold hex and square bar , er32 collets from 3 mm up have 8 slots each end and 6 from 3 mm down .
Jeff

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 06:13:17 PM »
I have a myford s7, I would be using round bar most of the time, mainly 10 to 15mm with 20 to 25mm tube every now and again. Would be nice to be able to take parts out and put them back without too much hassle. My 3jaw can be way out.

Whilst I have a set of Imperial Myford( real) collets, I doubt whether they will go up to 25 mm in Metric. Again, I also doubt whether 'Chinese' collets will do this. Mine for the Myford 7B will not. I've got a set of ERX16's  for the Unimat clone- but I am  digressing.

I was fiddling tonight( a sort of break from domestic chores from a still poorly wife) and found that I'd left a 12mm threaded draw bar in the spindle so that I could use a small GHT boring head- to do ball handles( I know, I know) but it does suggest that 15 mm is not relevant either. That chucks( ouch) drawbar collets with 2 MY shanks. Mebbe cheaper to use a 13mm drill chuck in the sharp end and even cheaper to use a - bell chuck.

Rings a bell?- Never mind. If push came to shove, I would stick a bit of round bar onto a 2MT blank- and keep the change.

Or does modern technology fail to recall things like this or wax chucks?

Back to being -cook, slut and bottle washer-- and duty driver.

Bye

Norm

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 07:58:06 PM »
I built my lathe from scratch using the Gingery books in 2002 -- so I guess it's "modern". But it started out with a faceplate, later bell chucks and 2 jaw chuck (all shop made, of course). Not even a 4 jaw for first two years of use. Just face plate and angle plates, etc for square stuff, and centers, the 2 jaw, and bell chucks for round.

Gingery does have drawings for a 4 jaw chuck in the books, just never built it. So some of us moderns have heard of bell chucks. I think there are quite a few Gingery lathes out there by now. And even if you don't own one, the books will teach you how to make simple workholding devices and how to use them.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Trebor

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 08:25:51 AM »
As you can tell I'm a novice but one thing puzzles me is the M10 drawbar ?? What's this for ?

Offline tekfab

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 09:20:15 AM »
As you can tell I'm a novice but one thing puzzles me is the M10 drawbar ?? What's this for ?

I'm guessing it refers to the drawbar that goes through the headstock to hold the collets or collet holder in to the lathe ?

Mike

Offline Trebor

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 09:28:22 AM »
Would it be unsafe to run with just the MT down the lathe spindle ?

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 12:41:03 PM »
At the risk of censure or worse, I'd be wary about things 'working out' and having to play with a heavy moving object!

You have obviously a worn chuck- and something in it can come adrift. If you use a MT - in say your Myford spindle- to hold something- it can work its way out again.

One of the safe ways is to stop it happening by putting a centre- rotating or other wise in the tailstock- to stop it all happening.

It's simply sound practice- whatever the lathe  or chuck or whatever.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Incidentally, having a wonderful break in the family home of Arkwright- the Spinning Jenny man.

Guy comes up- 'Norman- Northumbrian pipes?' What next?

Actually, he carves-------------------------trolls! :lol:

Offline tekfab

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 01:01:13 PM »
Would it be unsafe to run with just the MT down the lathe spindle ?

Probably unsafe and unwise, making a drawbar is an easy job and wont be hampered by your wibbly wobbly 3 jaw.

Mike

Offline Trebor

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2013, 01:25:06 PM »
There is so many to chose from, Gloster tools have a collet on a flange, Rdg tools do a mt 2 collet, I would like to have a go at making one to fit on the spindle threads. I could only find er32 collets with myford spindle type mount, but they don't go above 20mm at least the er40 goes to 26mm and 30mm. It's starting to give me a headache !

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 03:39:01 PM »
There's lot of us- with lathes and things although it is a saxophone course. One of the blokes has a ML7 with a gearbox but not the ususal one. His is by Sparey and Sparey wrote up a lot on collets etc in his 'The Amateurs Lathe' Actually, I have a set of his collets and homemade holder  - somewhere. I'd forgotten.

With a bit of memory coming back, there is no objection to you making a set of soft jaws which answers some of the problems of a wonky chuck. Making them is a perfectly correct ploy even for good three jaw chucks- and more accurate as a bonus.

N

Offline chipenter

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 03:56:46 PM »
If you want to make a collet chuck have a look at Doubleboosts vidieos , or Harold Halls web site , if you make a chuck just buy collets and a nut much cheaper ,http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Collets/ER-Collets
Jeff

Offline Trebor

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2013, 04:03:21 PM »
Thanks I've seen doubleboosts video and ill check out the others  :thumbup: