Author Topic: Cheap low voltage machine light  (Read 8328 times)

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
Cheap low voltage machine light
« on: July 01, 2013, 03:17:24 PM »
Hi
Lads
I was in Ikea last week  :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :jaw: :jaw:
I came across this led light
Available in black or white
Cost £ 10  low voltage LED
They put out a nice bright light
East to mount as well

John

Offline loply

Re: Cheap low voltage machine light
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 03:42:13 PM »
Yup they're good, got two of em on my surface grinder and two spare that I plan to mount on the mill. I hacked the transformer out of the wall plug and wired it in to the mains on the machine.

Offline PeterE

• Gothenburg
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 03:42:32 PM »
Nice!

They are good value and very useful, aren't they. I have one on my lathe, one on my mill, and soon one on my drill press.

But beware of the "foot", it is NOT cast iron  :bugeye: it is sand/swarf/whatnot mixed together with cement and cast. Best use would be as counter-weights for something.

I have three of these useless feet and plan to use them as a "foot for a long bar support on the bench outside the back end of my C3 lathe.

BR

/Peter
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 03:36:59 AM by PeterE »
Always at the edge of my abilities, too often beyond ;-)

Offline garym

• Manchester, England
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 06:48:24 PM »
I've got two of these lamps and another one almost the same with a clamp instead of a solid base. Useful for attaching to the shelf behind the lathe. The small head allows them to be positioned quite close to the work without getting in the way.

Gary
Workshop activity resumes now ankle improving :-)

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 02:51:19 AM »
Hi John,
                Nice and neat, makes my 1950's  lamps look enormous.

David

Offline RodW

• Vehicle Modifications Network
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 06:23:31 AM »
Following on from this, I bought a similar light and added a couple of switches to my lathe control box

And bought some cheap colour coded extension leads which I cut in half and hung out the back.

I did not add a switch for the DRO and it will turn on with the main lathe front panel switch when I eventually get around to installing one!

I still have not finalised how to mount the light and it clips to the rear splash guard for now. Sorry, could not find a photo of the light.

RodW
Brisbane, Australia

Offline jiihoo

• Finland - Northern Europe
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 09:34:37 AM »
I was in Ikea last week
I share your pain man, I share your pain.  :D

I have three of these Jansjö lights, one wall-mount (not available from Ikea any more) and two clip-on ones. It never entered my mind to even check if the base is easily removable. :Doh:  :doh: Mee stuupid, noooouuuu way...

The wall-mount one is currently fixed to a piece of plywood which is strapped to the head of my mill, real "backwoods engineering" style. I will have to go home early today and see if I can now mount it more elegantly. Maybe I'll treat me to a couple new lights in the near future too.

Thank you John!

Jari

Offline mechman48

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 01:19:45 PM »
Snap!
Have the self same light set up for my mill, clip on type, attached to small shelf behind machine, much better lighting & definitely value for money have similar (multi LED) for my lathe but converted from 'foot' to steel spring clip.
Cheers
George
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 01:41:26 AM »
Those Jansjo lamps are now on sale at Ikea - £7 each, with either a spring clip or heavy disc for the base. I visited a local branch yesterday, and bought three, after an eternity wandering the seven circles of hell you have to go round before reaching the lighting section near the checkouts.

They seem well suited for lathe and mill, casting a good pool of warmish light - better than the cold blue offered by many LEDs. Each has its own 3W, 4V wall wart transformer, so no trailing wires at mains voltage.

Not available on line in the UK, according to the Ikea website.

Andy.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 09:19:20 AM by andyf »
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline garym

• Manchester, England
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 06:23:41 AM »
.... after an eternity wandering the seven circles of hell you have to go round before reaching the lighting section near the checkouts.

Andy.

There are shortcuts in most IKEA stores that allow you to get through without following the maze like path. Look out for unmarked swing doors with a window in the top. Once you've spotted them you can get to what you want fairly quickly (and out of the store :D), although with the one in Ashton-under-Lyne you still have to go to the top floor to start with.

Gary
Workshop activity resumes now ankle improving :-)

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 09:26:15 AM »
Yes, I saw on the few "maps" they have around in Warrington that there are shortcuts. Trouble is that the maps are positioned some way from the shortcuts, so that by the time you have circumnavigated a load more displays, turning left or right every few paces, disorientation sets in. It is obviously part of the plan that that there is no sign saying "Short cut >>" next to any of the holes in the wall.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline gndurant

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 06:34:33 PM »
+1 for these lamps.  I have one clipped to the side of my bench drill as an experiment and it works a treat.  Next time I pass an Ikea, I'll  be laying in supplies....

Graeme