Author Topic: To cut a deep 3mm groove.  (Read 7746 times)

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
To cut a deep 3mm groove.
« on: June 06, 2013, 12:05:02 PM »
Have been trying to cut a deep 3mm groove, slitsaw did not cut it. the slit get really uneven..

So i have been thinking.. Coulda a parting blade be mounted as a flycutter? Would it hold from the force - or will it shatter..
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline John Rudd

Re: To cut a deep 3mm groove.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 12:46:41 PM »
Not sure how or why...but how about a slot drill or end mill...?

Again a bit more detail on what you are trying to do... :scratch:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline kwackers

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 12:53:24 PM »
No reason why the slitting saw shouldn't work. I've cut some pretty long slots with fine (0.5mm) saws with no problems.
3mm should be pretty stiff and cut well.

Was it sharp? Speed right? Vibration? Did you use lubrication? Didn't try to cut too deep in one go?
(I find a couple of shallow passes helps form a guide for subsequent cuts - particularly on round stock and thin blades).

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 02:56:31 PM »
Well, im trying to make a 60mm deep slot in a piece of steel so i can fit a firing mechanism in there.

Im gonna look at ebay how big slitting saws there is, 120mm slitting saw feels a tad bit weird to find though. ;)
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 04:17:15 PM »
Well, im trying to make a 60mm deep slot in a piece of steel so i can fit a firing mechanism in there.

Im gonna look at ebay how big slitting saws there is, 120mm slitting saw feels a tad bit weird to find though. ;)

I  have slitting saws that are about 6ins in diameter..........but have a 1 inch bore.......
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 05:42:12 AM »
Does slitting saw stay clean? I.e. no sticky bits during cutting. Swarf must come out of the tooth spaces.
Do you use coolant to wash off the swarf?
Does it starts fine and you run problems only when slit is deep?
How does the swarf comes out (coarse, fine, stringly)?
Is your slitting saw vertical or horizontal....I.e. do you need to lift the swarf out from the trench?

What size groove you make? Is your groove 3 mm wide and also slitting saw 3 mm wide? Does the groove go cleanly trough a block of steel, or is it stopped and/or cavities on the way? Depth is 60 mm? how many passes it takes to get that deep?

What steel? I have some tempering steel, that is really wonderful material when you need it but absolutely taxing on cutting tools and nerves. Turning yes, drilling only with an attitude and correct drills...threading is nearly impossible, unless really expensive taps and absolutely correct size hole (that hasn't been workhardened) is prepared...etc.

What kind if slitting saw? Standard HSS, with minimal tooths and very small side clearance, or something else?

Best slitting saws have some side clearance or even alternating teeth (or "trapetzoidal"), they are more forgiving than the cheap ones that have very small side relief ground on them.

I have used slittingsaws pretty much and here are some ramdom toughts I have learned (after shatering one blade and dulling few and made some cuts that would fit well in MOMA, but not in engineering):

* SLOoooooooW speed. I go under 100 rpm allready at 100 mm dia slitting saw.
* Plenty of coolant. Water emulssion is a proverbial (bianchi) to the machine and it's messy, but lot of it will flush swarf out of deep groove. If you don't get the swarf out, blade wanders all over.
* I have used IPA winter quality winshield washer liquid for aluminium. Certain grades of aluminium clogs slit saw easy. Sometimes pressurized air + shopvack works better....protect your eyes/face.
* Rigid setup...you don't want things to move or vibrate.
* Enough cutting depth and feed. You want decent chips out, not fine dust - it dulls the the saw and you definately don't want to hog until all space between saw teeths is filled up - something going to give up big time.
* Use correct blade width....this thin blades don't really excell on side load.

If you use very slow speed you don't need to cool the slitting saw, but the swarf must come out of the slitting saw teeths and groove. Some cutting oils tend to make small chips cling on the saw....which did not work for me. I have use spray can oil and shopvack sometimes and it works most of the time.

Pictures?

Hope you crack it. I mean the problem, not the part.

I hope this helps and does not confuse further,
Pekka

Offline srm_92000

• In NW Leicester
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 06:04:19 AM »
Hi.
Can the part be made in two, like an 'L' shaped cross section with a 3mm lip bolted to a flat plate?
I always try to think of other ways to do things if the machining looks like it will be a problem.
Steve.
Steve,
I put it back together using all the right parts,
just not necessarily in the right order.:scratch:
(Eric morecambe - ish)

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 11:22:52 AM »
 So i tried doing this with a 1mm slitting saw. problem is that i dont actually have slitting saw that takes 60mm deep cuts.. and they are cheap ass ones from rdgtools.co.uk - not the best quality i guess.

The steel i have is some piece of unidentified mild steel from the local scrappy, it can be cut with ordinary hss endmills so i assume its not that bad.

And no i dont have any cooling on my machine, have tried to aquire the pump for the Aciera F3, but have ran into that snag like 10 times and given up.

The problem with cutting an L shape into two pieces is that i need to split this block of steel i got into two pieces then. ;)

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 11:26:54 AM »
Just fit two or three blades side by side in a hacksaw, and  get some exercise  :coffee:

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline PeterE

• Gothenburg
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 03:50:23 PM »
Just a weird thought: Would it be possible to set the job up to chain drill a suitable series of holes at close to final depth. If so a slitting/slotting saw would have a much lighter job to finish the slot. 

/Peter
Always at the edge of my abilities, too often beyond ;-)

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 06:01:34 AM »
Sure it could be done if one could find 45-60 mm long drills in 2.8mm or similar.

Offline chipenter

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 04:17:37 PM »
Have you thought of a t.c.t. tipped wood saw the clearance is in the tips , I use them down to 78 mm but they can get a bit loud .
Jeff

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 07:29:11 AM »
Sure it could be done if one could find 45-60 mm long drills in 2.8mm or similar.
It could at least get you started most of the way through.

Have you thought of a t.c.t. tipped wood saw the clearance is in the tips , I use them down to 78 mm but they can get a bit loud .
That might work. I sometimes use a t.c.t router bit with light cuts on aluminium.

Offline PeterE

• Gothenburg
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2013, 09:42:36 AM »
Would this type of drill be useful?

http://shop.otdtools.se/spiralborr-langa-hss-028-mm-10-st-wodex/19609-0

BR

/Peter
Always at the edge of my abilities, too often beyond ;-)

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2013, 02:56:57 PM »
Hmm that might just work.. *ordering a bunch*