Author Topic: Smart --- answers to whatever:o) Lets hear them  (Read 10919 times)

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
Smart --- answers to whatever:o) Lets hear them
« on: April 29, 2012, 11:37:19 AM »
What are some of the answers you guys give when people ask what your doing?

A favorite of mine is I tell them that "I'm making a part for a machine that builds wooden butt holes for hobby horses" That always gets a laugh:o)

Another good one is to stare at them a little too long. Then ask "How do you like how your finding out?"

Lets hear them :lol:

~Wes~
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
Re: Smart --- answers to whatever:o) Lets hear them
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 11:45:49 AM »
Naughty Wes !!!  :hammer: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I try to look beyond the question, they have shown some interest,  I think I am good enough to show them some more. The only way to get more guys in to this hobby is to be humble and grateful someone has taken the time and trouble to talk to us. Be nice.  :poke:

After all you don't want to end up like Fergus .......... do you?  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
 :beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 11:55:59 AM »
Please be aware that this all done in fun in a typical shop environment. It helps brake up the boredom. I always help out when needed.

~Wes~
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 12:34:10 PM »
I'm pulling your leg Wes  :) :) :)
 :beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 01:26:21 PM »
Back in the late-80's and early-90's I was the chief mechanical engineer on the program that developed the modern automotive airbag restraint system.  This sounds impressive until you realize that (A) airbags are chemical and not mechanical in nature and (B) I spent 2-1/2 years developing a product that was designed to blow up in my face...

About a year-and-a-half ago I developed a device to take samples of fecal matter, dilute them, and dispense the (0.08 ml) solution into cells for testing (work done for the Canadian Ministry of Health).  You can imagine the jokes being told around my office as I ran tests to determine the optimum coring tube size to acquire the sample and then figure out how to disperse the sample into the solvent (distilled, deionized water).  Yeah, it was a $#!tty job, but someone had to do it!

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 09:24:41 PM »
I just pull out my very full camera phone.... The smart ones scatter  :lol:

Most everyone I know takes the pi.... erm micky  :poke:

There are the odd few who take an interest.  :borg:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 10:09:45 PM »
One of my guys called in on Monday saying that he hurt his back over the weekend. I told anyone that asked that he hurt it doing the "Kama Sutra" by himself :lol: :lol: :lol:

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline BiggerHammer

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 08:14:04 PM »
Now that one got a really good laugh. Thank you.

Sean

Offline ozzie46

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 08:54:23 PM »

Wife asked me where her broom was? I said, "Why? Are you going somewhere?"   :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

You won't believe it but she just laughed.

Ron

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 11:36:23 PM »
Ralf just asked a machining question in my Penny topic.

It reminded me of being at work. I'm the foreman in the shop I work at. Sometimes when the guys ask me a question. I'll tell them "Ask yourself, If I were a machinist, How would I do that?"

Now don't get me wrong. The fellow that taught me used to do this. It used to bother me. But being older now I realize that he was training me to think for myself :zap: This is an important skill:o)

~Wes~
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 01:29:51 AM by Powder Keg »
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 01:31:05 AM »
Don't worry Ralph. I'll take plenty of pictures:o)

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline one_rod

• Chesterfield, Derbyshire.
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 12:17:40 PM »
I was profiling some shapes out of heavy steel plate at work a while ago.

One of the pieces came out looking like a massive arrow-head. So when the inevitable nuisance came wandering over, I pointed it towards him.

"What you making?" he asked.

"An idiot detector" I replied.

I looked at the arrow, then at him. "Seems to be working fine"

Took a while for him to get it, but he did.

one_rod.
"A season ticket for the one way ride..."

Offline Chazz

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 04:56:53 AM »
A co-worker came in one morning and said "My back is killing me!", I said, "Maybe you shouldn't spend so much time on it"  :lol:

Cheers,
Chazz
Craftex CT129N Mill & Craftex 9 x 20 CT039 Lathe

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 03:19:03 PM »
My standard reply when someone dropped something, "Just lay it anywhere, that will be OK"

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 06:58:38 PM »
If someone else drops something in the shop. I'll tell them. "Don't look up. It went the other way!"

If I drop something I'll yell out. "I'll get it!"

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline krv3000

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2012, 05:39:42 AM »
i was asked why i spend so much time in me workshop for all i sed back is i can shout at out i wont withe out any thing bin throw back at me

Offline BiggerHammer

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 07:58:52 PM »
A co-worker and I were trying to fit a piece of bent bar into a rather difficult area. We had both tried different methods. My co-worker spotted a way to get it in (we had different views of the area) and asked for the bar and said "watch this" He then proceeded to twist and feed the bar into place.

He then said " What do ya think? Pretty good huh!" To which I replied "That was REALLY good, you win a free cookie. Please visit WWW.MADMODDER.NET and have cookies enabled on your web browser."

A smart ----- answer AND a plug for the site all in one go.

Offline WillieL

• This space for rent.
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 04:15:16 PM »
What are some of the answers you guys give when people ask what your doing?

Lets hear them :lol:

~Wes~

"I'm making a hen-way......"   :coffee:

WillieL

Midwestern USA

Offline Toolguy

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2012, 05:59:52 PM »
A bunch of us toolmakers were sitting in the shop talking during lunchtime. An unpopular member of management wandered by and asked us "How's it going?" I said "We're having more fun than a barrel of managers!" Everyone had a good laugh and he got mad and stomped back to the office. Mission accomplished! :beer:

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2012, 06:10:12 PM »
Toolguy

Welcome to MadModder. We are glad to see you here and look forward to your participation in the various forums. Nice one about the barrel of managers.

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2012, 09:47:54 PM »
A new guy started at the shop a few weeks ago. We make a few parts that are tricky to indicate in. He struggled with one of them for a while. I was eyeballing him from the other side of the shop and decided he needed help. I went to my tool box and got a big hammer and my indicator and strolled over to help him out. I carefully showed him the process to go through to get everything all lined up with the world. I had the part running with in a thou. I then asked him if he had been paying attention. He said Yes. That was the answer that I was looking for. I gave the part a giant WHACK with my big hammer and walked away\o/ A couple other guys that work for me had an idea what was going on and got a good laugh out of it also :)

This may seem mean to some. This may seem funny to some   :lol:This guy right here :lol:  But until someone actually does something and get's it right they don't know how to do it. Doesn't matter how many times you explain it.

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2013, 09:39:44 PM »
One of the guys was promoted to supervisor so he walked up to me one time chest out and said "why are your hands in your pockets? So I told him it keeps my fingers out of my ass"!

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2013, 08:04:37 AM »
If someone ever says you've made a mess of that or similar my reply is always " don't worry i can't see it from home"
Once in hole stop digging.

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2013, 11:27:28 AM »
If someone ever says you've made a mess of that or similar my reply is always " don't worry i can't see it from home"

I've a couple similar to that, "Can't see it from my house" and "A blind man on a galloping horse wouldn't notice it"  :lol:

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2013, 11:49:08 AM »
Good enough for who it's for, I always say, working for myself..

Well not always!

When I was young I worked on a maintenance crew. We were digging a ditch down to a leaking steam line -- it was hot summer work and clay stuck to the shovels from the steam. Miserable work down in that ditch. Afternoon, boss pulled up in his green air conditioned pickup truck, rolled down his window a bit and said, "How you men doing with that ditch?"

An old Vermont farmer I was working with looked up and said, "Gainin." and went back to work. We all laughed and kept shoveling, too. Stupid question. Boss drove away. That one word became a habit with us on that crew. It would answer almost any question.

In fact to this day, when anybody asks how I'm doing, I say, gainin' and leave it at that..
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg