Author Topic: OCTOPUS ???  (Read 6473 times)

Offline wim

OCTOPUS ???
« on: January 22, 2012, 08:14:47 PM »
Hallo all, unfortunately, I can not speak english and use Babylon to translate.
I am pleased to have some time on the many information from this Forum.
Today, I have a request. I am looking for information about this tool:

Maybe somebody has an owner's manual. Or can explain to me how it works.
Thank you very much for your help.
Petterson from northern Germany
Petterson
Wim
Weniger ist mehr

Offline Miner

Re: OCTOPUS ???
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 10:20:28 PM »

Hi Wim,
I've tried to do a few postings on German forums lately so I can understand just how difficult it is. You have my sympathy.

Your picture shows an item that was in one of Guy Lautards "Machinist's Bedside Reader" books. There are 3 of them and I'm sure your picture was copied from one of the the books. It's an accurately built shop fixture for milling.

Try, http://lautard.com/octopus.htm There's an explanation about how it works and what it's used for. I hope this helps.

Pete
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 11:04:40 PM by Miner »

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 03:26:44 AM »
As Peter says, it features in Lautards web site but really it is a simple jig to attempt to solve holding of metal.
There are many of these and I believe that one is still sold in the UK for such tasks as wire and strip metal bending.

I recall the late Tom D Walshaw publishing his version in one of small books and published under the pen name 'Tubal Cain'
Maybe some one has a copy of his 'Simple Workshop Devices' and can confirm my fading memory.
Basically, all that it is is a block of square metal with a series of holes at regular intervals- rather like squared paper.. I simply cannot recall whether the holes were plain or tapped to hold pegs.

Let me assure you that none of this is new. 'Meccano' and simplerstuff was quite common and there was something called Juneero. Clearly, these were aimed for children to use but scaled up, they could be used in the workshop.

Maybe this information is of use.

Offline Miner

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 12:40:15 PM »
Hi Norman,
I've got that Walshaw (Tubal Cain) book. It's no. 28 in the Workshop Practice Series. ISBN 978-1-85486-150-4. And your memory is not fading. Walshaw called it a Universal Plate Jig and it starts on page 31. The holes were just drilled and not threaded.

Due to the OP not being able to read English, Our information and that book may not be all that usefull to him even with a translate program. In the last few weeks I've been doing some searching on various European forums and websites. There's a vast amount of information we never see even with a Google search unless you specificly go looking for it in that language. No doubt there's also many very good HSM/Model Engineer type books and magazines not written in English. There's also a large number of very talented people on those non English forums just like ours. Even after a couple of weeks, I've barely scratched the surface of what's on the internet in Europe. Google translate isn't perfect, And especially so with technical terms. But it works well enough most times

Pete
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 01:31:17 PM by Miner »

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 01:01:32 PM »
Pete,
        Thanks for the confirmation. Somewhere is another jig????

And it's Pelmanism that wins the day so( write it down in case you forget and I came up with the word 'Proops' and they have TWO different designs.

Never heard of Pelmanism- really, Pete?

N

Offline Miner

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 01:06:24 PM »
LOL, I had to Google it. Very clever.

Pete

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 01:21:03 PM »
Hi Lads

Jig ,,,,,,,,,is used  to control the location or motion of a tool .

Fixture ,,,,,,,,,, is a work holding device.

Rob  :coffee:

Offline Miner

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 01:41:34 PM »
Hi Rob,
 :wave:100% right as usuall, But Tubal Cain called it a plate jig, So that's why I listed it as such. But correctly it should have been called a fixture. Add hardened drill bushings above the parts and it would then be a jig.

Pete

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 01:47:28 PM »
Hi Pete  :D

Just thought  i would mention the difference  as the terms are often mixed up ,,, not that it really matters  :Doh: :lol: :lol:

Rob

Offline Miner

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 02:02:33 PM »
Rob,
I've made that mistake myself even though I know better. :doh:

Pete