The Craftmans Shop > Backyard Ballistics

Webley Service Air Rifle MKII

<< < (3/6) > >>

GerryB:
Thanks Guys,i understand the problem.
It would seem that i will have to have a look at 'Photobucket'
GerryB

andyf:
Funnily enough, a friend's wife has just given me a Webley & Scott Service Rifle Mk II (.22 barrel) which belonged to her Dad. I hinted about giving it a good home 15 years ago, but she thought it might be useful to wave at intruders. She's realised at last that she's no Annie Oakley, but it has deteriorated sadly in the meantime  :palm:

I like the neat safety detent which stops finger-crushing accidents while you cock and load it.

Andy 

GerryB:
G.Day Andy you lucky so and so.
Out here we use a term that dose not go down well with some people who do not understand the Aussie humour.
Don't be afraid to refurbish your new acquisition it is beautyfully designed and made as you will appreciate when you dismantle it.
I did try to send this article the other day only the Water boys are digging up the local road to lay a new pipe and i think they are disturbing the Phone Lines as my phone is dead also my internet connection keeps dropping out.
I made the connection on the breach end of the .25 barrel i have been making.
It is very precise in its form as the breach has to not only make a good air tight connection but the Bolt has to rest close to the housing.
I now have to machine the slight taper on the barrel that goes from about 1" in front of the barrel housing that is .6" in dia  to about .550" at the muzzle.
I have started to set it up in the South Bend and will post a few photo's when done.
GerryB

andyf:
Hi Gerry,

Yes, I'm a lucky sod (our US cousins will think I'm talking about the lawn, so that's OK).

Here are a couple of pics. As you will see, it's been got at by the rust worm, and the piston-puller links are unblued; they don't seem to be original.

Cocking and the trigger action seem nice and smooth, but I suspect it is a little short of puff; probably the piston seal.

I don't know what to do about the rust. What do you suggest?

Included in the gift was a funny little .177 air pistol with its barrel through the middle of the cylinder and the cocking lever along the side. It is a pity that it is so rusty as to be beyond restoration.

Andy

Andy

GerryB:
G.Day Andy,
 would not attempt to load the Action unless you know the condition of  the Piston/Cylinder.
The Webley Service II does not have the usual Leather or Modern Plastic Piston Seal but has Piston Rings.
Now if the Cylinder and the Piston Assy. are corroded then you will have to dismantle it carefully.
You will probably have to make a Spring holding tool something on the lines of a Sash Cramp to hold the spring under tension during the disassembly.
If you know someone who is into Air Rifle dismantling it would be an advantage to get him to remove the Spring.
It is possible that the Cylinder is in good condition as it is not open the the outside world except for the spring and was usually oiled with Mineral Oil.
There are quite a few types of Blueing procedures on the market for the amateur.
Try your local Firearms Dealer.
The cocking piece you think is not original looks the part,it may have been replaced by an unblued part.
I will  try to replace the Photo's of my Rifle.
Am in the throws of finding out how to load them using PhotoScape.
GerryB

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version