Author Topic: A larger table for my mill (WM14)  (Read 5905 times)

Offline picclock

A larger table for my mill (WM14)
« on: July 13, 2011, 09:17:20 AM »
Hi

I'm working on a project where I need a longer table and leadscrew for my WM14 mill. I phoned up Warco, the importer, and had no luck. I know I can move the work around but for this job I need very high accuracy as best found in one continuous cut.

The current table is 400x120mm (it says in the manual but I measure 130) but movement in the Y axis is only 230mm. I can remove the endplate from the table but then its going to be moving out of the dovetails.

Short of buying a larger mill which I don't have the room for, or the finance, a longer table for this one sounds like the best approach.

Any help much appreciated.

Best Regards

picclock
Engaged in the art of turning large pieces of useful material into ever smaller pieces of (s)crap. (Ferndown, Dorset)

Offline jim

if i'd thought it through, i'd have never tried it

Offline picclock

Re: A larger table for my mill (WM14)
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 01:00:53 PM »
Looks good but at £340 its halfway to another mill for me. I was hoping to just purchase the table and leadscrew so I could use the existing setup. If its that expensive I think I would be better off with a mill upgrade/exchange. 

I like the mill I have but the Y axis travel is just too short. I'll keep looking on the internet, I'm sure the manufacturers must do one.

Thanks

picclock
Engaged in the art of turning large pieces of useful material into ever smaller pieces of (s)crap. (Ferndown, Dorset)

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 01:09:26 PM »
Hi picclock

Dont no if your mill is the same as an X2 mill ,,,,,, maybe they make a longer table for a similar model of mill that may fit

Rob

Offline David Jupp

• Teesside - UK
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 01:14:30 PM »
If it is a one off need, consider farming out the job (or the bits needing the long table) to a machine shop - possibly cheaper than a table or a new mill.  Better still see if anyone near you has a larger mill and maybe you can barter or otherwise help each other out...

Offline jim

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 01:16:32 PM »
would it be possible to just modify your leadscrew for this one job??

maybe use some (say) 16mm treaded bar????????
if i'd thought it through, i'd have never tried it

Offline John Swift

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 01:23:49 PM »
Hi Picclock ,

could the extra long table Arc Euro Trade sell for the X3 small mill be a possible  plan B ?

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Machines-Accessories/Milling-Machines/Model-X3-Small-Mill

Ketan may be able to give you the information you will need

(I had spares for a Machinemart lathe from them in the past)

John

Offline picclock

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 06:33:32 PM »
@ John Swift

That seems like its just what I'm looking for. Will phone tomorrow to get details of dovetails and leadscrew.

@ Jim
Its not just the length of the leadscrew, the table will not engage with the dovetails if it moves further than the 220mm stated.

@ David Jupp
Already got feelers out in that direction, but its an ongoing problem. This case is just about the last straw that will force me to do something. It will also mean less faffing about exactly positioning bits to get maximum travel.

Many Thanks

picclock

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 07:52:20 AM »
did you ever get a longer table for your WM14

Peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline wildman692

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 01:57:49 PM »
why not make nw ends to extend the dovetails and replace the lead screw with a longet one. Alternatively make a sliding table to fit on top of your existing one and slide to the next position once full travel has been reached.