Author Topic: Surface Grinder And Shaper Confession Part 1  (Read 4347 times)

Offline lockstocknbarrel

Surface Grinder And Shaper Confession Part 1
« on: December 01, 2011, 06:14:12 AM »
I have a confession, I have been on a buying spree................
These items were purchased so I had something to play with over the summer holidays.
The photos are just after it landed in my garage. 
Part 1 is the surface grinder the maker is unknown to me so please if you can help i would appreciate any input.
Cost $1000.00usd you don't get a lot of single phase Surface Grinders in New Zealand unless you buy brand new, hence the story so far.
It is 3 phase and I intend to convert to 240Volt the motor has been purchased already, it has a German magnetic chuck 14X6" Walker-Hagou NV this chuck seems to hold plate better than some I have used in the past in fact it's hold strength amazes me. 
I was not intending to do a rebuild story but as it is now out in the public domain, I will post pictures as I go, hope it does not put you all to sleep.
The grinding head is already dismantled, and new bearings fitted, and I cut slots in the main shaft for the allen bolts to lock into instead of just biting into the outer shaft.
Anyhoo as the other guys say, this is the first part of my confession.
Kindest Regards
Beagles     
Kindest Regards
Beagles............
Dave Weir

Offline lockstocknbarrel

Re: Surface Grinder And Shaper Confession Part 1
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 06:39:32 AM »
I made a mess of how I posted both stories about new additions to the workshop, so I have added them to make things tidy.
 :doh:   
Part 2 is the Shaper the maker is unknown to me so please if you can help i would appreciate any input.
It was purchased from the South Island in Dunedin where there was a large Railways Foundry way back in "The old Days" it has 1958 GR stamped on the cross slide, and a old Hoover Motor to power the machine I believe this may have been made in the workshops as a homer type job.
Cost $450.00usd including freight, I sold my other Shaper to another locksmith friend of mine who was jealous when I purchased that one, I will post photos later.
I believe that this machine took a tumble while being freighted and the brass housing for the cross feed gear is bent and so is the main cross feed shaft and the down feed chrome handle is smashed so things are not as great as I'm posting but it will keep my off the streets and out of bars...................... :beer:
Anyhoo as the other guys say, this is the second part of my confession.
Kindest Regards
Beagles   
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 05:06:04 PM by lockstocknbarrel »
Kindest Regards
Beagles............
Dave Weir

Offline Trion

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 11:31:35 AM »
Those are some neat machines. Looking forward to seeing some pictures of them being used :)

Offline lockstocknbarrel

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 05:02:53 PM »
Here are photos of my original shaper in the shed when I purchased it, this is the one that i have sold to my locksmith mate.
Now you can see the reason for upgrading.
P.S.
Are shapers just for "Old Machinists", if that is the case, I have just aged................... 

Kindest Regards
Beagles
Kindest Regards
Beagles............
Dave Weir

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 05:07:18 PM »
Hi Dave

Thats a mighty fine looking SG you have got yourself  :thumbup: :dremel:

Rob 

Offline wildman692

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 01:17:35 PM »
The surface grinder looks very much like an Eagle. No idea on the shaper.
A shaping machine seems to have fashion these days though why I have no idea they are a brilliant way of removing surplus metal rapidly using the cheapest of toolbits. Great for cutting internal keyways, cutting racks and many other jobs. The old time served toolmakers like myself first started machining on a shaper, often a huge Elliot in Cincinnati. My own shop had a boxford, followed by an Elliot 10, but eventually I needed the space for a larger lathe so it had to go.