Author Topic: Penny Farthing Bicycle  (Read 196309 times)

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Penny Farthing Bicycle
« Reply #175 on: February 10, 2012, 10:08:38 PM »
...They looked good in my head, but in real life I wasn't happy with them ...

Yup. I know that feeling all too well.  :beer: Happens to me more often than not. But you bike is turning out pretty nice. Much nicer than I could produce.  :thumbup:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #176 on: February 12, 2012, 07:25:13 PM »
I made a arbor to thread the nut onto while I turn the top of the nut. The nut was shaped mainly with files like the top of the steering head.

Then I milled flats in it. I did 8 to make it look different.

I'll be making the tension bolt next. and maybe some really fancy stuff for the lug that the handlebars thread into. We'll have to see how I feel. And if I can work it out in my head.

~Wes~
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #177 on: February 13, 2012, 11:51:44 AM »
Wes,

Beautiful work Wes. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :clap:
 :beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline Bill Gruby

« Reply #178 on: February 13, 2012, 05:35:14 PM »
 Wes;

It has taken me some time to catch up with all that is being bone on this Forum. I wish I had started here with this thread. This absolutely awesome.

"Billy G"

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #179 on: February 13, 2012, 08:32:07 PM »
Thanks for the compliments!

Still coming up with Ideas. Which in this case is a good thing:o) I didn't really like my design for the rear forks. I think I can make most of the parts on my whirl-er.  I think I have a neat idea for the rear forks. I have a couple sketches. I'll draw it up and get some dimensions and start making chips:o)

Stay tuned......
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #180 on: February 15, 2012, 08:37:59 PM »
I'm making chips. Not much to take pictures of. Just turning, drilling, and tapping:o)

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #181 on: February 18, 2012, 12:03:39 PM »
I got a great start on the lug that the handlebars will thread into. This is an important piece its out in the open and a focal point I think. Here are a couple pictures of the start.

I drilled and taped the part then rough turned the profile.

The outside is mostly shaped with a file. It takes a little while to do this, But it's not bad. I kind of like doing it. You can see all the filings on the paper in the background.

Stay tuned for the finished piece:o)

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #182 on: February 18, 2012, 12:48:05 PM »
Nice shape....

Stay tuned for the finished piece:o)

OK  :coffee:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #183 on: February 20, 2012, 10:50:02 PM »
Sorry for the delay. I got a little lazy and didn't get everything I had planed done. But I'm getting there. I want to take a nice picture of what I have out in the sun and it's snowing:o( And dark now:o( Soon though Ralph:o)

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #184 on: February 21, 2012, 12:06:55 PM »
 :poke:

:thumbup:

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #185 on: February 22, 2012, 08:57:34 PM »
I've been pecking away at this. I made a thread gauge tonight so I can thread the outboard end of my handlebars. Little by little:o)

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #186 on: February 26, 2012, 04:13:01 PM »
Well I finally had some quality shop time. I drilled and tapped a piece of shaft to use as a gauge to check the threads that my grips will thread onto.

After that I could assemble the handlebars\o/ Here is the center lug that I made along with the bronze jamb nuts.

A friend gave me a set of reproduction grips. (Thanks so much Walter!!!) Here they are threaded onto the handlebar.

Here is the whole lot all together.

I made 2 sets of handlebars. I'm going to try and bend up a set of mustache bars but I'll be using these straight ones also.

I'm going to try and get some more work done today\o/

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #187 on: February 26, 2012, 04:29:52 PM »
Great work as always Wes  :thumbup:

I'm trying to figure out how these mount to the (not sure of the official word?) head/turret... I'm sure I'll see soon enough but ad always I want to see it all now!  :poke:   :D 

Got my first evening in my workshop for a month last night. Didn't really get much done for 4 hours.... But it's fun to have the time in there, where do you find this elusive "quality time"? Need to get me some of that!  :dremel:

looking forward to the next instalment   :ddb:

Ralph.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #188 on: February 26, 2012, 04:37:38 PM »
The center lug will get a flat milled into it and it will be welded to the top bracket for the front forks. Let me mock up a picture:o)
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #189 on: February 26, 2012, 06:30:34 PM »
This will be about what things look like. I need to weld the pieces together now.

Here is a front view.

I'm turning the piece that will become the crown for the back forks now.

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #190 on: February 26, 2012, 08:39:33 PM »
I got a good start on the piece that will be the crown of the back forks. This piece will be cut in half and be cleaned up on the mill. There will be pockets that the tubes will fit into to help locate and stabilize them. I'll first finish cleaning the piece up with files and emery paper.

Later,

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #191 on: February 26, 2012, 09:25:16 PM »
Cheers for the pic's Wes  :thumbup:

:worthless:  Well.... it would be!

I get it now. Usually takes a while  :)

Ralph.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #192 on: February 28, 2012, 09:44:47 PM »
I got the crown piece turned.

I roughed the ends with a radius tool then filed and scraped it to shape. Checking it with a radius gauge along the way.

After it was too my liking I cut it in half :Doh:

This is what I was after. I'll set it up in the mill and touch up my angles then mill a couple pockets to hold the fork tubes.

Getting closer\o/

~Wes~
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 06:58:04 AM by Powder Keg »
Wesley P

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #193 on: February 29, 2012, 12:09:26 AM »
That is gonna look nice...
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #194 on: February 29, 2012, 02:21:43 AM »
That is gonna look nice...

I love how all the component shapes and curves seem so natural, correct. 

You've got a really good eye, Wes!   :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #195 on: February 29, 2012, 10:03:34 AM »
Nice work Wes  :thumbup: :clap:

:beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #196 on: February 29, 2012, 05:15:25 PM »
You've got a really good eye, Wes!   :thumbup:
or hopefully two!  :)

True though  :thumbup:

Looking very sweet.... This is really going to be something special   :borg:   :clap: 

:nrocks:

Ralph.

Offline BiggerHammer

« Reply #197 on: February 29, 2012, 08:31:55 PM »
Looking great. Some awesome workmanship and I am learning a few things. Keep it up. Soon you will be as happy as this fellow and his penny farthing.

Yours should be a bit easier to operate though.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #198 on: March 01, 2012, 11:28:29 PM »
I've been monkeying around with a jig to bend a set of mustache bars for my bike. I'm going to try and bend them tomorrow morning. I'll take a couple pictures.

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #199 on: March 02, 2012, 02:56:50 PM »
Well, My jig worked better that I thought it would\o/ I'm pretty excited that they turned out great!!!

Here is the jig that I made. I bent the first part of the bars at about 45 degrees. Then clamped it in the jig.

It's pretty hard to take pictures of hot stuff when you are by yourself.

I made a cheater bar that worked perfect! You can just see it here. It slid over the threaded handlebar and protected the threads.

I drew some lines on the jig to bend everything to. I even got pretty close to it\o/ This was a tough bend. I missed my measurements just a tad on the first bend and this one ended up short. I had to kind of stretch the metal a little behind the pin I was bending around. I did this by focusing the heat behind the pin.

Here is one half cooling off.

A set of mustache bars. Oh Yeah!!! Now were cooking:o)

I hope you enjoyed the show today:o)

~Wes~
Wesley P