Author Topic: Penny Farthing Bicycle  (Read 196383 times)

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
Re: Penny Farthing Bicycle
« Reply #150 on: January 28, 2012, 11:58:56 AM »
Cheers Wes. Nice to see where the inspiration came from   :beer:

After that I'm just fitting things together in a way that pleases me.
  Is right!

That's the point isn't it? Having all the talent and style to create and bring a new version based on the original into being    :dremel: 

You have in essence the same philosophy as me.... Take the important elements and craft your own ideas around them  :thumbup: I've never been able to follow a plan rigidly yet!

I can see why the head design will be quite important style wise due to it's relevant height (many persons eye level).  Much thought and mental machining are a very wise option IMHO.

Oddly enough I was sitting in my workshop for a good hour or so yesterday just machining in my head.... I must have made a part (top secwet at the mo') 20 or 30 times in my mind before I even went looking for the stock.
(personal preference, listening to good music to aid the brains creative flow.... All very Zen!  :med:)

You're moving along at a good pace as far as I can tell..... No rush. Just get it done soon so we can see it all together  :poke:   :lol:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #151 on: January 28, 2012, 06:25:27 PM »
To keep this project moving I'm trying to do something every day on my Penny. With work and life sometimes it isn't much. But I try to do at least one thing. That way I'm one step closer to getting it done. Today I cut the spring mount off that chunk of brass. I'm going to set up my little lathe next and start threading those nipples.

~Wes~
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #152 on: January 28, 2012, 07:04:15 PM »
I wish I had that drive sometimes.... I usually do nothing for weeks then spend days in the workshop!  :loco:

Well, it's looking great so far.... If you keep up as you are it'll be done in no time at all  :thumbup:

Ralph.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #153 on: January 29, 2012, 12:01:28 AM »
I ran across a really neat leather under seat tool bag that should be pretty easy to make. A bike needs a tool kit right:o) I'll have to go back to the saddle shop and see If I can get another scrap of leather\o/.

I think one similar would look right at home on my Penny.

~Wes~
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #154 on: January 29, 2012, 04:45:59 AM »
Wes, I don't suppose bowls (not ten-pin, but on grass with bowls about 5" diameter) is a pastime in the US, but if it is you could look out for one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-leather-bowls-bag-teach-yourself-bowls-book-James-Taylor-/160721741153?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Bowling_ET&hash=item256bc32561

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #155 on: January 29, 2012, 08:43:16 AM »
Never heard of it. That is a nice bag though, but It is a little big I think. It will need to fit inside the spring. About 3.5 inches in diameter should be about right. But I need to have a bike to put it on first:o)

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #156 on: January 29, 2012, 01:24:45 PM »
I am working on the seat a little now. I notched the end of the tube. Just a couple cuts to let the metal move into place.

I then used a small Ball pien hammer and gently massaged the metal over a pin. It doesn't take much. I think a bunch of small taps are better than a few big ones.

I then welded it all up.

I'll smooth it up with a grinder and then I need to make the mount piece that will get welded into the middle. I wish my mill was working:o(

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #157 on: January 29, 2012, 06:18:23 PM »
I got the brass cut off and the welds on my cantle all cleaned up. I'll try and get the center part of the cantle cut out at lunch time at work tomorrow. I can weld it on and the cantle will be about done. Then A bolt and I'll be a few steps closer\o/

Thanks for watching,

~~Wes~~
Wesley P

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #158 on: January 30, 2012, 06:12:59 AM »
I'm intrigued about the fixing of this ass'y to the frame and also the saddle to the "cantle" (never heard that one before!)

This is a very informative thread  :thumbup:

What's up with your mill Wes?   :(

Ralph.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #159 on: January 30, 2012, 07:38:29 AM »
Here is what the seat will look like on the bike Ralph.

On the mill. I added a 6" extension to it when I got it. Now you have to lift the table higher. Sometimes I would raise it a little too high and it would travel up off the nut. This damaged the nut a little. To fix it I'm getting a new nut and a longer threaded rod that lifts the table.

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #160 on: January 30, 2012, 11:25:04 AM »
Ahh, I see. On both counts  :thumbup:

I'll just wait to see how it all turns out, I was wondering where the shape from the seat front came in. I'm pretty much there now  :)

Horrible when your tools go wrong ain't it..... Drives you mad cause you always want to use it most at the time it fails  :doh:

Suppose there's a thread (no pun intended)  somewhere else that I've missed on the mill repair? 

Ralph.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #161 on: January 30, 2012, 08:33:18 PM »
I've been messing around with the drawings for the head and forks for my Penny. I think I've come up with a plan. And it might even look good when I get done? I'll need the CNC at work to pull it off. My Boss said I might be able to go in again on Friday. We'll see...

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #162 on: January 31, 2012, 07:11:49 PM »
Well, I don't have any excuses now. My tires showed up today. I think that is the last part I had to buy to finish this. Now I just need to finish crankin out parts. Headed out to the shop:o)

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
« Reply #163 on: February 01, 2012, 03:17:35 AM »
PINK????

Andy
Sale, Cheshire

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #164 on: February 01, 2012, 07:05:55 AM »
Ha! Those are Red my friend:o) I think someone needs to adjust their monitor.
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #165 on: February 02, 2012, 08:34:19 PM »
I have been looking at fork designs. I came across a set made by a company called Hillmen Herbert Cooper. They had a model that had double hollow forks. I kind of like them. I think they also should be easy enough to make, fancy:o) Here is a link.  H.H.C. And some more Double hollow Fork They should also be a little lighter, making it easier to peddle\o/

Stay tuned.....

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
« Reply #166 on: February 03, 2012, 03:39:08 AM »
Those forks look good, Wes. Earlier on, I wondered how you would go about making forks which looked elegant when you said:
I need to nail down the head design I'm going to use. I'm trying to make everything "look right". And be build-able. I would like some lighter forks. But tapered oval tubing would be tough for me to make.

Even if made with straight rather than tapered tube, double forks would give the impression of a taper, and the smaller diameter tube would fit well with the slender outline of a penny farthing.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #167 on: February 03, 2012, 06:27:14 PM »
I stayed up late last night and drew up my new forks. After work today I machined these pieces out. They are the top and bottom bracket for my forks. Hopefully I got everything right:o) I'll know more when my tubing shows up. The holes for the tubing are not round. This will let the tube rest in each hole at an angle. This way I didn't have to drill angled holes. The little gap left will be filled in when I braze the parts together.

I used a feature in Mastercam called Tabs. They hold the part as it's being cut out. Now I can just nick them with a grinder and file the tabs off.

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #168 on: February 05, 2012, 06:35:19 PM »
A good friend of mine used to say "There is more than one way to skin a cat. But sometimes it's nice to save the skin" :o)

I've been silently looking around on the internet for tire tools to mount my new tires when the time comes. There several ways they are mounted. The fellow I bought the tires from stretches the wire, with a come-along, then gives the wheel a twist. This locks the stretched wire/tire onto the rim. The twisted wire joint is clipped and pinched together then the tire is bumped together. You can see it here. http://http://www.hiwheel.com/tire_install.htm

Another way is to stretch the wire/tire onto the rim. There are several style stretchers out there.

Some use a threaded rod.

Some use a gearbox that twist some pins. The wire is wrapped around the pins stretching the wire.

There is the one where the tire wire is wound around a bolt to be stretched.

These use some type of clamp to hold the tire apart and clamp the wire tight at the same time. That way the wire can be Silver soldered/brazed together and not melt the rubber.

Like this.

There are Even a couple Videos on the subject.
Thanks Dave!!!

Thanks Graeme!!!
&feature=related

Recently a fellow (Walter:o) told me about a third tool. This is a homemade affair. It is nice and simple. Just a piece of all thread, some nuts welded together, and a couple Sockets. With his tool to stretch the tire/wire around the rim. Then you back the stretcher off counting the number of turns. Then pull the wire/tire off the rim and wind up the tool again plus 2 turns. Clip the wire, Silver solder it together, let everything cool and then pull the clamp off the wire. Then just roll the tire onto the rim. Here is his description of the use of his tool.

This is the end that spins on the all thread ,. any variation of this idea will work ,, usually i would have a pair of vice grips on this end , and they will keep it from spinning while the all thread is moving,

This is the smart end ,i would mount the nut into a vice -that keeps the end secure and makes the work easier

This tool i use to roll the tire and to adjust the grain of the rubber , sometimes when you roll it on you can see the rubber grain is wavy , this helps correct that situation ,also one of the tricks to rolling on the tire is before you are rolling the final section, if you twist the rubber in the opposite direction ,and then roll it over the rim ,it should line up nice ,,

This method the wire has less tension while it is being soldered. I kind of like that idea.

Every one I've read about is "The Best way" But they all seem to work fine. I'll have to decide for myself.

Thanks,

~Wes~

Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #169 on: February 07, 2012, 09:26:43 PM »
I started on part of the steering head. This threaded lug will get welded into the top bracket. It sticks out the top so I wanted it to look nice. I drilled and taped my scrap/material.

I then roughed out the profiles. This gives me a basic idea where the features will rest.

Then a little filing and sanding. I file until the lines flow nice then sand things smooth.

I probably have 40 min. into this part so far.

more soon:o)

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline sparky961

« Reply #170 on: February 07, 2012, 09:55:56 PM »
.... and I thought changing a bike tire with two screwdrivers was a pain ....

It's been an interesting history lesson, for sure...

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #171 on: February 07, 2012, 11:30:32 PM »
I am constantly amazed at what I learn as I read this thread. Those tires are interesting!

Your eye for the flair is outstanding Wes. I like the start of the steering head.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #172 on: February 08, 2012, 02:25:32 AM »
I was puzzled about that wire now I know

Thanks for explaining Wes

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #173 on: February 09, 2012, 11:57:03 PM »
My plan is starting to come together and become clearer to me :med: Sometimes when I start a project It starts as an idea and a lot of the details are a little fuzzy :smart: I'll start to gather stuff up that I think might work, but wont necessarily be used in the final product. Like my forks. I spent an afternoon cleaning and cutting out the ones I had planned. They looked good in my head, but in real life I wasn't happy with them :Doh: It was going to take a ton more work to clean them up and have them look nice. My tubing showed up today\o/ This stuff will make a light weight fork. It will look nice and should be pretty strong.
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #174 on: February 10, 2012, 07:58:14 PM »
I got my mill back together today. While the locktite was drying I started monkeying around with the jamb nut and acorn nut that lock the steering head in place. I'll post pictures of my progress in the morning. I was bad about not taking any pictures today.

~Wes~
Wesley P