The Craftmans Shop > Backyard Ballistics

Current gun build

<< < (4/9) > >>

Alphawolf45:
 Eric I have had itch to build a gas engine for bout 4 years now.. I am tempted to buy an antique outboard boatmotor and try make a copy of it..The arguement in favor of that is that I could borrow the ignition and carbureation from the original engine to get the home built engine functioning..I just have a couple more classic singleshot rifles that I want to build for myself and finish building a steam launch and then will be trying to build a gas engine or two- probably a year from now......The gun projects has been good for developing some skills.. They are like little selfcontained machines..Not as involved as building an engine but there are some simularities.

Powder Keg:
Great work AlphaWolf!!! I told a couple buddies about the 1911's you were building and that I could get plans for the same gun. They got pretty excited;o) We are talking about starting a "gun night" where we will get together and work on a gun 1 night every week. All three of us want 1911's in 45 caliber but we cant afford the price they bring. So It's looking like we'll build'em:o)

We might start off with a BP rifle to see how it woks out. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Wes

Alphawolf45:
Heres a .22 that I finished building from barstock...The vintage scope was rusty old thing I had to sand it down and rust blue it...Again the rifle is my version of a Stevens model 44 and 1/2 that made its debut in 1904 .
 I am working on another couple vintage single shot rifle actions but at the same time I am studying over building a pair of .45 caliber revolvers modeled after the 1873 Colt Single Action Revolver.
 and still periodically I will hunt the net for pictures of Vintage motorcycles. Ultimately I want to build an early Harley, build engine, frame, tanks, wheels etc... I feel I am close now to having the talent and tools to make a good run at that project.

Bernd:
Very nice looking there Alphawolf45.

I say from my perspective your one heck of a gunsmith.  :dremel: :thumbup:

Will it put holes in a target?  :)

Bernd

Alphawolf45:

--- Quote from: Bernd on January 24, 2009, 09:11:14 AM ---Very nice looking there Alphawolf45.

I say from my perspective your one heck of a gunsmith.  :dremel: :thumbup:

Will it put holes in a target?  :)

Bernd

--- End quote ---

Well Bernd
  That is kind ..Scope rings were bentup when I bought'em on ebay and I straightened them but still need to tweek'em a bit more because the scope points a bit to the right..Its enough that all the reticule adjustment is used up just to align the crosshairs ..So in fact it will poke holes in paper but isnt 'right' yet..And I grind all my own chambering reamers and I cut the chamber tight, too tight really since once the chamber has gotten dirty its not easy to kick out the empty..I'll have to open that up a bit more....Ohh but hey its all in fun, I dont hunt nor shoot paper and not actually collector of firearms either. This messing with guns is just my way excuse for playing in the shop and giving me an education on CAD and using the CNC mills and presently I am getting practice with TIG welding.....
  I can easily afford to buy guns and the guns I would buy would be better than what I  build..But buying is not the hobby ,,, building is my hobby..Probably that gun pictured cost me less than 100 dollars but took me more than 100 hours labor..If I were really into guns I would just buy them , but then what would I do with my spare time..? What would I learn ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version