The Shop > Electronics & IC Programing

Bad Indicator Lamp?

(1/4) > >>

dsquire:
Since I'm too cheap to throw out my deep fat fryer I'm trying to fix it.  :lol: :lol:

My first thought was the element or switch but they both check out OK for continuity and so does everything else except for the small red indicator light. Should there be continuity across the terminals of this light. I believe that it is what was called a neon indicator. It is not a LED. This unit is probably 12 to 15 years old and still has a lot more french fries and doughnuts to cook. :doh:
I believe in repair as a first option, not last.  :ddb: :ddb:

Anybody with any comments on this good or bad gladly accepted. I know I'm going to hear from Bernd on this one.

Cheers  :beer:

Don

John Rudd:
Most neon lamps have a small resistor in series with them to limit the strike up current...If it fails to light, try changing the small series resistor...For 110/120 vac its likely to be around 100K...

dsquire:
John

Thanks.

I don't see any resistor unless it is internal. Would all the electricity for the heating element have to pass thru this indicator light or does the indicator light only indicate that the heating element is drawing current?  :doh:

cheers  :beer:

Don

CrewCab:

--- Quote from: dsquire on January 29, 2010, 06:03:15 PM ---Would all the electricity for the heating element have to pass thru this indicator light
--- End quote ---

I would doubt it Don, I suspect the indicator will be in parallel to the main circuit ......... however someone who really knows what they are talking about will be along soon  :zap:

CC

John Rudd:
The neon lamp isnt a load carrying device...it doesnt have the capabilities to carry load currents such as an electric element...

The neon will be in parallel with.....

Try your local Radioshack place and see if they have a replacement neon indicator

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version