Author Topic: ELLIS 6" TILT INDEXER  (Read 5071 times)

Offline usn ret

ELLIS 6" TILT INDEXER
« on: December 11, 2009, 08:59:35 PM »
I just came into possesion of a 6" Ellis indexer w/5" 4 jaw chuck, collet handwheel, 3 index plates, and some bits yet to be identified. It appears to be in good shape with a machine shop patina, not rust, and there is no binding or grinding when turning the crank. It also has the tilt feature. It can however use a good cleaning. All for just over $100.00, did I do ok? The ID tag states Ellis Tool & Manufacurinig Co. Alhambra Ca, the little bit info I have found on the net states a street address in El Monte Ca.  Does anyone have any additional info the this indexer? Pics to follow as soon as the shop warms up just a bit.  SWMBO mandates no tools in the house!!!! OK,OK,OK!!
Does anyone have clue about which collets fit, 3c? Thru whole is .923 and the chuck end is tapered. The handwheel has an internal thread, dia and pitch yet to be determined.
All help and harassment will be appreciated and/or tolerated.  THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!

Cliff :coffee:

This thread is no longer :worthless:

« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 06:15:10 PM by usn ret »
If it isn't broken your not looking hard enough!

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: ELLIS 6" TILT INDEXER
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 07:04:43 PM »
For $100, I think you did quite well. That "tool patina" looks nice. I don't see any rust at all.  :lol:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 07:09:51 PM »
Like Bernd I think you did well there, great looking piece of kit ...  :clap:

Dunno bout the collets though, sorry  :hammer:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 10:22:28 PM »
I had one of those a while ago. I really liked it, but I ended up selling it to a friend to get a bigger dividing head. There is some info near the bottom of THIS page. Have fun with your new toy.
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline usn ret

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 11:55:30 AM »
Powderkeg,  :) thanks for reading the post and posting the pdf file of operators manual.  It will help just knowing what came with the indexer. Do you know which collets were used, 3C maybe? :bang:
Cliff :coffee:
If it isn't broken your not looking hard enough!

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 11:58:44 AM »
There were no collets with mine:o( Your welcome:o) I just had to remember where I had "just" seen that info :bang:
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline shred

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 12:53:17 PM »
I acquired a little Ellis dividing head not too long ago.  The taper looks to be some sort of Morse-like single angle though I've never measured it. The docs say #9 B&S, and it does look like the web pictures of same.   I'm pretty sure it's not 3C.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 01:02:04 PM by shred »