Author Topic: slitting saw arbor  (Read 4133 times)

Offline jatt

• chookshed engineer
slitting saw arbor
« on: December 24, 2009, 06:49:50 PM »
Hi all and a merry Xmas/day off to all.

Looking to buy a slitting saw arbor that will take different sized hole centres.  My reasoning: more flexibilty in blade choice, minimise amount of tooling; there is still so much more stuff to buy!!!!!

Thoughts/suggestions from those who have had experience with something similar to attached foto.

My main concern was how well would something like this hold the actual blade.  Have seen fotos of some saw blades with a keyway slot.  Hard to see from Interweb fotos whether any of the arbors I have looked at have a corresponding notch to match.

Like the fact that this one has MT3 taper to match my mill. 

As yet dont have a lathe, so a home made isnt an option at this stage.

Have both Imperial and Metric drawbars, the latter came about after I stuffted up when puchasing an ER32 collet chuck.  MT3 metic wasnt it, doh!!  No worries some metric threaded rod and a welded nut....

From an early age my father taught me to wear welding gloves . "Its not to protect your hands son, its to put out the fire when u set yourself alight".

Forget about the price of gold and oil, its the price of beer that matters.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: slitting saw arbor
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 07:15:30 PM »
I've yet to see a slitting saw run true, even with the arbors I've made and using quality carbide blade .... I'm not saying they don't run true, just that I've not seen one yet.

The keyway is for a milling cutter, the slitting saws don't have a keyway ...  :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline jatt

• chookshed engineer
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 07:12:53 AM »
Thanks Darren.

I'm getting there, it just takes time.
From an early age my father taught me to wear welding gloves . "Its not to protect your hands son, its to put out the fire when u set yourself alight".

Forget about the price of gold and oil, its the price of beer that matters.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 07:19:28 AM »
You're doing fine, only just started myself  :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

GrahamC

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 08:13:28 AM »
Seasons Greetings!

That arbor will probably work just fine, designs like this are common and available just about everywhere. I haven't had any first hand experience with these as I have made my own arbors but they are simple enough devices so it should be OK.

Darren is right, most slitting saws don't run true - diameter wise that is, they always seem to be out a bit.

cheers, Graham in Ottawa Canada