Gallery, Projects and General > The Design Shop

Got the urge !

(1/3) > >>

Spen50:
Having seen aermotor8's 1/4 scale galloway gas engine model  :thumbup: I have the urge to have a go at building my first engine.
So what I'm asking all you experienced folk is:

What would be a good starting point?

bogstandard:
The first thing we have to ask, have you any experience of making more than two bits that fit together?
Can you read a drawing and make a part from such a thing?

If the answer is yes to both of these, then you will have no trouble making an engine.

But if you are a bit of a beginner, I personally would go for a little oscillator.

There are three reasons for that, the first being is that it doesn't take too long, most probably a weekend for a basic type. The second is that if you can't get one of those going, you are in trouble, and the third, when you do get it running, it gives you such a buzz, you feel like you can take on the world.

Then you make some sort of intermediate engines, before progressing onto something that uses fuel and sparky things.

Basically, start easy, and progress gently from there.

Too many jump in with both feet projects end up in tears, either ruined castings or just lose interest because it is too difficult.

Bogs

Spen50:
Thanks Bogs.
I have no problem in reading and following a tech drawing, but defiantly a beginner ( I have no problem in starting from the bottom as it were).
As for "little" just how little? as my eyesight isn't what it was.

rleete:
Wobblers can be made just about any size you like.  The larger ones need a larger volume of air to keep going, but anything with a bore less than 1/2" can be made to run fairly easily.

Go here: http://www.john-tom.com/html/ElmersEngines.html    and find something simple.  Elmer's engines are a great starting point.

Stilldrillin:
Spen,
Have you seen the little rocker engines we`ve all been building?   :D

Stew started it all....... http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=1445.0   :thumbup:

Lots of help available, from everyone, if necessary.  :scratch:

If I can do it, anyone can......  ::)

I`ll post my story, when I get a .9mm allen key.......  :bang:

David D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version