Home Base > Announcements & Issues

Moving to a dedicated server!!

(1/4) > >>

Brass_Machine:
Well, I went ahead and purchased a dedicated server to host this board, my wifes board and a few other websites I own. I will let you all know in advanced what the down time will be to transfer to the new server.

WooHoo!

Eric

Darren:
Just make sure it's your time and not ours...... :lol:

Stefan Pynappels:
Hey Eric,

What hardware did you get? What OS will you be using? Finally, something I can talk about with a little more authority! Go on, tell all......

Fairly standard LAMP setup with sub domains? What sort of network setup do you have, multiple NICs and FibreOptic broadband connection, dedicated broadband to the server?

NERD ALERT! NERD ALERT! NERD ALERT!

(Crawls back into little cave.....)

Seriously though, what is your setup?

Brass_Machine:

--- Quote from: spynappels on August 05, 2009, 04:03:25 PM ---Hey Eric,

What hardware did you get? What OS will you be using? Finally, something I can talk about with a little more authority! Go on, tell all......

Fairly standard LAMP setup with sub domains? What sort of network setup do you have, multiple NICs and FibreOptic broadband connection, dedicated broadband to the server?

NERD ALERT! NERD ALERT! NERD ALERT!

(Crawls back into little cave.....)

Seriously though, what is your setup?

--- End quote ---
Went with what is cheap. I have to foot the bill for this... Through my hosting provider I am going with a MS2k3 R2 server running as a VMware instance. The ESX hosts are xeon 5500's (optimized for VMware), 4GB HBAs for storage, backbone is 10GE. We will have 1TB of bandwidth a month (for now). Being on VMware, downtime should be minimal.

Nerd alert? What do you do?

Eric

Stefan Pynappels:
I normally get a Nerd Alert from my missus when I start talking about servers etc for work, so being apologetic about putting people to sleep is now second nature.

Will you be administering the server yourself or is that included in the hosting? Server2k3 is about the friendliest of the MS offerings IMHO, we work with Linux servers as a rule, easier for remote admin. Are you using IIS or Apache to serve web content?

VMWare is a nice stable virtualisation platform anyway, downtime will not be as a result of that anyway.

Not trying to teach a granny to suck eggs, but if any help is required, shout and I'll do my best to assist.

Stefan.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version