Gallery, Projects and General > Neat Stuff

Chladni Plate ?? Wot ???

(1/4) > >>

Bluechip:
Hi Folks

Don't know quite where to put this, so I've poked it in here. In some ways it follows on from Bogs' post about 'lack of project posts', it's what I've been fooling around with today, ( no lickable slugs to be found )  :D :D

Not mine, I must add, but a similar arrangement. May interest some. Various modes of vibration on a flat plate. In my case 1/8" hard brass. Driven by a knacked 5" 20W speaker.

The sort of things retired electronic bods do .. found the brass plate for another job, remembered this Chladni stuff, and got no further on original caper.

Dave BC

sbwhart:
Coor Dave thats cool:- I take it different frequencies generate a different pattern, is it sand or salt on the plate, I suppose different stuff produces different patterns at different frequencies, the more I think about it the more question I have  :smart:

Thanks

Stew

Bluechip:
Stew

Yes, depends on frequency and, I would think, the plate stiffness. ( Young modulus) ??

I used salt.

Good fun, complete waste of time of course.  :D for me anyway.
At one time, the Boffins were working on mineral separation using an 'Acoustic Sieve', how far they got I don't know. If you have a column of mineral particles with different densities, you pulse it with sound at a particular frequency, and pretty much all the heavy stuff goes to the top IIRC, and the lighter stuff remains at the bottom of the column. Bit clever for the likes of me!!

Kept me amused for a couple of hours. Speaker was no use, torn cone, so it got sacrificed.

If you look for 'Chladni Plate' on Youtube, there are some other vids. with water etc.

Dave BC

sbwhart:
Yes I can understand that done a lot of experimenting dispensing small units of sticky powder very accurately and yet keep the mix homogenous, had to give up in the end and revert to manual weighing.

Interesting little project though.

Stew

Darren:
Is it the frequencies in the speaker coil causing magnetic fields which when passing through a non magnetic metal produces voltage current thingies... :scratch:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version