Gallery, Projects and General > Neat Stuff

Chladni Plate ?? Wot ???

<< < (4/4)

dsquire:

--- Quote from: HerbD on July 22, 2009, 12:22:45 PM ---Interesting.  Would the shape of the plate influence the patterns (at the same frequencies)?   Or for that matter would changes in size (thickness, linear dimensions (square, rectangle, circle), type of plate (steel, wood, plastic, copper, etc) change the pattern perhaps because of resonance?

[Looking around shop to see what I have to try it]

--- End quote ---

Hi HerbD  :D

A big W E L C O M E  to  :proj:

If you haven't already realized it  :mmr:

Don't be shy, pull up a chair, grab a  :beer: and join in.

Tell us about some of your projects and interests and remember  :worthless:

There is always someone around to answer most questions  :smart:

cheers

Don

Bluechip:
Hi HerbD

Welcome from me too, ...  Chladni Plate  .. Try it. I remembered the thing from years ago, at Tech.
I have little idea whether it would work with softer material, as I said, I used a scrap sheet of hard brass. That did work. Not as good as the Youtube demo, but the patterns were there. Size of plate would matter. it works along the lines of a string instrument or organ pipe. As the frequency changes you come to one that is a 'multiple' of the plate size you have, and the pattern appears. Just like an organ pipe would have a resonant frequency. I am not the world's authority on the things by any means. I had a bit of a go 'cos I had some suitable stuff to hand.  And the time to play    .. It's what I do now .. :D

Dave BC

HerbD:
Hear you Stew, just have to scavenge up some pieces  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version