Gallery, Projects and General > Neat Stuff

Chladni Plate ?? Wot ???

<< < (2/4) > >>

John Hill:

--- Quote from: Darren on July 16, 2009, 04:28:49 PM ---Is it the frequencies in the speaker coil causing magnetic fields which when passing through a non magnetic metal produces voltage current thingies... :scratch:

--- End quote ---

Interesting question!  :scratch:

Considering that salt is pretty much non magnetic I expect not in this case but if one was to use iron filings I would expect eddy currents in the conducting plate to have an effect on the pattern.   

Hmmmm, mix iron filings with salt and see if two interlocking patterns emerge. :scratch:

John Hill:

--- Quote from: sbwhart on July 16, 2009, 03:57:46 PM ---Yes I can understand that done a lot of experimenting dispensing small units of sticky powder very accurately and yet keep the mix homogenous, had to give up in the end and revert to manual weighing.

Stew

--- End quote ---

Very interesting Stew, closest I ever came was mixing milk powder with powdered coffee which by some magic prevented them going sticky and hard in the jar, which they both did if stored seperate in tropical conditions.

Ok, Ok.... :offtopic:

Bluechip:
Hi Folks

Nothin Electrickery about it. The salt stays where there is a 'Node' ie 'No displacement'.

I have seen it done with a violin bow on the edge of the plate .. no eddy currents, no nowt.

It's just like standing waves on a vibrating string.
Only in two dimensions instead of one.
Easier to alter the frequency with a signal generator. Or it is for me anyway. 'Bout as musical as a tortured cat.

Dave

Darren:
Ahh, so simply resonations in the plate then?

Bluechip:
Darren

That's it. If it was any deeper, there's no way I would have got there.  :)

Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version