The Shop > Tools

Limited Mill Choice Here In New Zealand

<< < (2/4) > >>

CNCKiwi:
Hi all,
Thanks for the answers so far......
Forgot to mention we also have the Sieg range of mills and lathes here in New Zealand.

Regards
Kevin Campkin

Joules:
In that case I really like the Sieg SX2.7L if a smaller mill will do.  I am sold on the benefits of brushless motors.

Check out the Frank Hoose videos on YouTube.

Brass_Machine:
I am with Joules. I like the 2.7L, I am in the process of converting my X2 to 2.7 specs.

That said, if you need and want the larger mill, like the ZX45, many people have replaced the motor with one that fits with what they machine.

Either way, stick with a R8 spindle.

Eric

mattinker:

--- Quote from: Joules on May 04, 2017, 04:16:41 AM ---Hi Kevin, the ZX45 would be my choice if using the R8 taper. 4MT is an odd size, especially if your lathe has a 3MT.   As to speed, you can add a high speed spindle to the mill later on, if needed.  I couldn't find the max Z height in the info.

Very long time ex-Christchurch resident.

--- End quote ---

Interesting! I might suggest that it would be worth finding out what the "home" market is like. I was looking in the UK for a Bridgeport, as I couldn't find anything much here in France when I stumbled upon a H Ernault SOAMUA universal mill, SA40 spindle, which turned out to be a really good thing as R8s are rare as the proverbial rocking horse ..... Never looked back, second-hand tooling, mostly out of schools, very plentiful.

Just a thought, Matthew

Steamer5:
Hi Kevin,
 Went down this route a couple of years ago. I got a REALLY good deal on a Sieg SX4. Wifey told me to do it right & do it once, so I got the DRO, X feed & cabinet too......well she did say!

I went the R8 route as the tooling is readily available, the only issue being you can get 12mm or 7/16 thread in the end, just need two draw bars.

Got it thru Auckland, just had to wait 3 months on the slow boat....but that's ok!

Cheers Kerrin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version