The Shop > Tools

Limited Mill Choice Here In New Zealand

<< < (3/4) > >>

CNCKiwi:
Hi Kerrin(steamer5)
How have you found the SX4 to be.
How do you get on with cutting steel. Can the mill cope ok or do you have to take really light cuts.......

As you probably understand I don't want to invest in something which isn't going to be upto the job.

Regards
Kevin Campkin

CNCKiwi:
Hi all,
I suppose really I ought to introduce myself a bit more.

We emigrated from the UK to NZ nearly 11 years ago for the better life. At present I'm working as a CNC operator/programmer for a small firm in New Plymouth.
A fews years ago now I started to build a few machines starting off with a MDF CNC router.
I soon progressed to all aluminium machines for the rigidity.
Then the next machine was a CNC laser cutter and finally I built a 3D printer which I've recently built another but a more sophisticated machine.
Since those early days I now have a small fabrication business using all 3 machines making various parts and prototyping.
Here's my Youtube channel(which I wish I havd the time to do more videos):
videos

Regards
Kevin Campkin

Steamer5:
Hi Kevin,
 It's a very small world! Same town!

Have to catch up for a chat sometime.

The SX 4 is a decent size machine.

Spec here....  http://www.sieg-machines.co.nz/mills-manual/219-sieg-sx4-digi-mill-new-generation.html

The mill & I are getting on fine! It knows more about milling than me, so I tend to take it a bit light most of the time, the few times I've pushed a bit more than my normal it's done fine!

Cheers Kerrin

CNCKiwi:

--- Quote from: Steamer5 on May 05, 2017, 03:47:57 AM ---Hi Kevin,
 It's a very small world! Same town!

Have to catch up for a chat sometime.

The SX 4 is a decent size machine.

Spec here....  http://www.sieg-machines.co.nz/mills-manual/219-sieg-sx4-digi-mill-new-generation.html

The mill & I are getting on fine! It knows more about milling than me, so I tend to take it a bit light most of the time, the few times I've pushed a bit more than my normal it's done fine!

Cheers Kerrin

--- End quote ---

Hi Kerrin,
Thats a nice Mill although its more than my budget I want to spend.
I see the rpm's on that mill are the same as the ZX45 I'm looking at.

Do you do much aluminium work and find the 1600 rpm's enough?

Regards
Kevin

PK:
Whilst Al is softer and can be cut at higher speeds, my experience with owning hobby scale mills is that small cutter diameters is really what drives you to lust after faster spindles.  If your 'big' cutters are 12mm, then you are going to end up at very low feed rates on most of your cuts.  I do a lot of Al and 2500 on the main spindle is OK, bit not great for the 6-12mm cutters I use..

PK

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version