The Shop > Metal Stuff

How to sharpen carbide scraper?

<< < (2/4) > >>

RobWilson:
Hi,

Pete, If I remember correctly,  did you make your own cast iron rotary lap to sharpen your shop made scrapers?

Rob

Pete.:
Yes Rob you remember correctly - I did but I have stopped using it since these discs have become so cheap and available. Instead of charging the lap and using it to hone the scraper I simply turn on the grinder and give it a very quick 2second swipe across the disc, and the results perfectly good for scraping.

RobWilson:
Arrh! I see Pete,    thumbup:

I will see about getting hold of a set of those plates. I still have to do the scraping of the 626 mill ways, looking forward to using the TCT scrapers you made for me to do the job with.     :dremel:

Rob

PekkaNF:

--- Quote from: Pete. on January 15, 2017, 03:32:51 AM ---http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152210190653

These will make your life easy. Use the rough one for setting the radius and the fine one for honing an edge.

--- End quote ---

Thank you. I have to get set of those. What RPM you use?

Zero left on that seller.

Which ones are fine? I have heard that very often they are not that straight and then some folks resor of pressing the tool against it very hard to keep it straight.

Pekka

Pete.:
They are too thin to use without a backing plate. I made one from aluminium but I then had to make a steel hub for it, mainly because of the tiny shoulder on my cheapo bench grinder's spindle which dug into the ally plate and stopped it running true. Pressing hard isn't a good idea - make them run true and use a light touch. I use mine on my 6" bench grinder which is 300rpm but they would be better used at much lower speed, less likely to scorch the disk. A dab of coolant like paraffin does a lot to help.

Any disc from 1500-up will give a good enough finish for scraping.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version