Gallery, Projects and General > How to's

Hammerite Smooth Not Setting

<< < (2/3) > >>

Will_D:

--- Quote from: Manxmodder on October 04, 2016, 01:46:22 PM ---EDIT TO ADD: Does anyone remember using Finnegan's Brown Velvet Primer? Many years have passed since I last saw that for sale.

--- End quote ---
Yep, when I was restoring/building kitcars in the 80s, Brown Velvet was a weapon of choice!

Painting regime for non body work items like castings/anti roll bars/wishbones/etc:

Sandblast

2 Coats of Brown Velvet brushed

2 Coats of Hamerite Colour

Fergus OMore:
I've sort of replied earlier on MECH. I recall that there was a connection with Resinous Chemicals in Dunston, Tyne and Wear. Part of British Paints in the 50's. Whether 'Scotty' had worked for RCL earlier, I have to guess but I bought Hammerite and Waxoyl up the river Tyne at Mickley out of a humble garage.  As far as my memory is concerned, Hammerite was a rubber based wrinkle finish and the solvent /thinners was carbon tetrachloride which could be the accepted cleaner for oil stained clothing.

40 years ago( long before all this) I took Hammerite to Spain to do rusty garden furniture. Frankly, it fell off!

Later, the firm went to Haltwhistle- scene of Smith and Waltons Paints but the firm was called Hunting which made de-icing equipment as well.

So my conclusion is that 'Hammerite' is a generic name that had to change as the earlier risks from paints and plastics became known.

Will_D:
Seem to remember that Hammerite used a particular thinner/cleaner.

As did Brown Velvet!

None were as comples as the "International" brand of Yacht paints/varnishes/2 pack paints!

I think they listed up to 9 different thinners and as there was the "hello sailor" factor they were NOT cheap!

Great quality but you were getting what you paid for (in spades)

awemawson:
I think that it was toluene originally.

nrml:
I've stopped using Hammerite for the same reason. I now use POR15 Grey for painting machines. It is a little bit more expensive, but a little goes a long way. It self levels beautifully and you get excellent results just daubing it onto bare metal with cheap pound store brushes. It doesn't flake or chip off at all and it doesn't fade in indoor environments either.

It makes sense to buy the smallest pack you can for the job in hand as it doesn't keep very well once opened. The only thing to watch out for is to make sure that there is no water left on the object being painted from cleaning. It bubbles up if there is any dampness left. I found this out the hard way.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version