Gallery, Projects and General > How to's

Hammerite Smooth Not Setting

<< < (3/3)

Manxmodder:

--- Quote from: awemawson on October 06, 2016, 03:44:26 AM ---I think that it was toluene originally.

--- End quote ---
I tend to agree with Norman's earlier suggestion of the thinner being carbon tet based.

Toluene rich solvent tends to smell sweet like pear drops and is frequently used for 2k paints and clear lacquers. The original Hammerite stuff had a far more pungent smell a bit like a cat pee sort of odour.
.....OZ

awemawson:
In my youth Hammerite was made by Finnegan Speciality Paints - they had a tiny London Office on the West side of Edgeware Road just North of Smiths the electronics surplus shop. No doubt the actual manufacture was either elsewhere or contracted out.

I'm pretty sure that in those days the solvent was toluene. No doubt ownership has changed several times since then

Fergus OMore:
Andrew
             I'm a local to  Northumberland and Durham having been born only 5 miles from Mickley where I bought both Waxoyl and Hammerite.  Somehow I doubt that date that the local Hexham Courant put the garage in 1962 is somewhat wrong. I would have put it in the late 1950's. Hammerite was suggested as originally  a rubber based electrical  and we could both be right about CTC and 'tollie'as one or some of the major solvents.  I recall at about the same time we were using silver rubber paint on both Tyne and Klepper folding canoes. Incidentally, RCL- part of then British Paints formerly Dampney's was making resin both normal and fireproof stuff for ship's lifeboats on the Tyne. Again, RCL was modifying epicote resins for bar topping and also Rolls Royce. I could do with a tin or two now!
Laughingly, there is a friends of RCL listed but I wonder if there were any survivors with free Thallic Anyhydride and M aleic Anhydride coming off the gas kettles. They were also modifying resins for abrasive wheels.

Oddly enough, I went to school with one of chemists and odder still, appear to be a  substantial shareholder with survivors of these past companies.

I'd sort of forgotten most of this.

Mickley- I recall the toilets on the opposite side of the main road to the houses and the Cosy cinema became a masonic hall and another school mate- but I digress  :ddb:

I wonder what happened to my 1935 Morris 8- CBB367

Norman

S. Heslop:
My grandad used to be friendly with the guy that developed Hammerite. Supposedly he developed the brush on hammer finish paint for a company he worked at, but they weren't too interested in it since it mostly had applications for hobbyists and they weren't in that market. So he went and set his own company up which was a huge success. He and my grandad had a bit of a brainstorming session on names for the company and my grandad came up with the name Hammerite.

I'll have to ask him for more details since I only half remember the story.

Fergus OMore:
Somehow, RCL was up to the ears in work after the war. The gas and steam resin kettles were working 24/7 and no one was terribly bothered to find that someone had done something other than chuck in a test tube full of silicones thinned with carbon tetra chloride.
British Paints, if I recall, was doing rather well with factories in India and Australia as well as Portland Road!

It doesn't bring back a solution( pun intended) to thin a gooey mess but heigh ho. You have some of the old story.

And, of course, one could dodge National Service by going to India! Just testing the remains of a memory.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version