Gallery, Projects and General > How to's

Hammerite Smooth Not Setting

(1/3) > >>

Joules:
I am using a tin of the copper coloured stuff in the casting of the little knee mill to bind all the loose sand and dross together.  Painted yesterday late afternoon, not dried this morning  :(

Answer :-  Hit the casting with the heat gun and get the paint smelling strongly, drive out the solvents and it will kick start the cure.  I have the base and column wrapped in a blanket sat on a home brewing heat pad to get the whole casting to 30 ℃ and cure that over the next 24hrs.   Hammerite, not like it used to be and now available in pastel colours  :palm:

Pakrattuk:
You're right about it being different formula, had two lots of silver hammered finish and thought I'll use up the old tin before using the new and when it came to using the new stuff, it curdled where it met the old stuff.
 :doh:

Joules:
As an alternative, I have had good results from Blackfriars QD90, though I see they have changed the name, but hopefully not the formula.

tom osselton:
I just looked at the Hammerite site there are no outlets in North America! Has anyone informed them of the new world?  :D

Manxmodder:

--- Quote from: Pakrattuk on September 25, 2016, 01:32:01 PM ---You're right about it being different formula, had two lots of silver hammered finish and thought I'll use up the old tin before using the new and when it came to using the new stuff, it curdled where it met the old stuff.
 :doh:

--- End quote ---

Sounds very much like the sort of reaction you see if high flash solvent based paint meets with synthetic enamel.

I note a couple of previous comments here indicate that the formula seems to have changed. This could be to meet with the environmental trend towards decreasing the amount of volatile organic compounds(VOC's) in modern paint formulas......OZ.

EDIT TO ADD: Does anyone remember using Finnegan's Brown Velvet Primer? Many years have passed since I last saw that for sale.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version