The Shop > Tools

Any ID on this lathe? - a project needing TLC or scrap?

(1/4) > >>

raynerd:
Hi Guys

Anyone any idea what this lathe is from the photos? Looks old and in need of TLC but it is soon to be in my possession. Will it be of any use or is it only good for scrap? Tooling shown comes with it.

Advice welcome - regarding getting it, the story goes something like this. I use auction stealer on ebay so don`t bid myself, the computer programme does it right before the end of the auction. Before I found this forum and got my lathe I saw this one come up, it is around the corner from me literally and put a low bid in. Anyway, I forgot I had bid and did not cancel the auctionstealer bid. Needless to say, I won. If it really is worthless than I`ll probably put it back on. Then again, could make a nice project!

Chris

Darren:
Could it be a Boley...http://www.lathes.co.uk/boley/index.html

Hard to tell from the pic,

sbwhart:
I'd hang onto there may be some useful bits you could salvage some time

Stew

John Hill:
It has the look of something cobbled out of parts,  the bed etc looks too small for the cross side for example.

Looks like he used it to make a ball turner! :coffee:

Darren:
Well if it is a Boley then it's quite collectible and capable in it's own class. It certainly has the looks of one, but they were copied quite a bit.

The beds are reputed to be very stiff, my lathe bed follows a similar pattern as many did.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version