Author Topic: AXA QTCP doesn't fit Sieg SC4  (Read 3715 times)

Offline teegee

AXA QTCP doesn't fit Sieg SC4
« on: April 14, 2015, 02:30:57 AM »
Hi,

Recently I got my new QTCP from CTC tools in Hong Kong (I'm in Singapore), model AXA. Unfortunately, I found that the holders are all slightly too high for the 3/8 tooling that I usually use on my Sieg SC4 lathe. There's no way to return or exchange the item without incurring large transport costs.

If I were able to remove 5 mm from the bottom of all holders, they would work just fine. They are made of incredibly hard steel however and my only (now thoroughly ruined) carbide endmill would barely touch it.

My question: if I were to try and find a local company to chop off 5 mm from my AXA holders, what kind of service should I be asking for? Is it surface grinding? Some other sort of grinding? Or can it be milled with proper equipment and cooling?

Cheers,

Rob

Offline chipenter

Re: AXA QTCP doesn't fit Sieg SC4
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 02:44:31 AM »
Would it be easyer to lower the groove for the tool as there is less metal bo be removed , I have had some success with thin cutting disks for an angle grinder on a slitting saw arbor for very hard steel , covering averything up first .
Jeff

Offline mechman48

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 01:29:50 PM »
Hi,

Recently I got my new QTCP from CTC tools in Hong Kong (I'm in Singapore), model AXA. Unfortunately, I found that the holders are all slightly too high for the 3/8 tooling that I usually use on my Sieg SC4 lathe. There's no way to return or exchange the item without incurring large transport costs.

If I were able to remove 5 mm from the bottom of all holders, they would work just fine. They are made of incredibly hard steel however and my only (now thoroughly ruined) carbide endmill would barely touch it.

My question: if I were to try and find a local company to chop off 5 mm from my AXA holders, what kind of service should I be asking for? Is it surface grinding? Some other sort of grinding? Or can it be milled with proper equipment and cooling?

Cheers,

Rob

A bit late on the comment;  but why not use 6mm tooling, or if you already have 10mm (3/8") try machining a couple of mil off the bottom of the tools?

George
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline RodW

• Vehicle Modifications Network
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 05:17:41 AM »
The tool holders are not that hard to make if you have a mill.
RodW
Brisbane, Australia

Offline Jonny

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 02:49:35 PM »
Bit late as well but those tool holders are ok to mill down.
Have milled out 18 of the 19 250/200series juts use a ripper cutter that might last 3 holders or decent carbide and the like.
Normal HSS wont last 2 seconds.

Could even turn them down, used to do hard Kennametal like that.