Author Topic: New Handle for Smoothing Plane  (Read 7090 times)

Offline Meldonmech

New Handle for Smoothing Plane
« on: May 07, 2015, 03:03:32 PM »

Hi Guys
               I bought a plane over the weekend, which had a broken handle. I fancied a bit of woodwork for a change and decided to make a new one. For a change I found a very nice piece of old mahogany in the garage, and hacked a lump of the end.
   The broken handle I tried in my hand for a comfort fit, and found my hand to be cramped. Widening the split handle greatly improved comfort and fit, and still enabled the handle to clear other working parts. A card board pattern was cut out 1/4 inch higher than the original, and this was used as a template for marking out on the wood.

Offline Meldonmech

Re: New Handle for Smoothing Plane
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 03:23:53 PM »

Two large holes were drilled in the wood then the handle was cut out on the band saw. The handle profile was then finished on the belt sander. I am not sure on the next stage whether to radius the corners using a  router, or hand carve.

Cheers David

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 04:09:35 PM »
Another bit of Grandma's sideboard David ?  :lol:

I'd start rounding it off with a suitable router bit, then blend by hand on the belt sander .

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 05:16:08 PM »
David If you have a gouge for the inside curves, a bench hook, and some good chisels, that's what I'd use. But you'd need to know how to work the grain not to split it.

A good sharp shoe rasp could probably also do the job with less chance of an accident than either a router or chisels and gouge. A little slower, but not much, since it's a small piece.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 01:51:36 AM »

Hi Guys, thanks for your comments.
 Andrew, very droll, you are on the right track, the mahogany came from a neighbors old french doors circa 1920's. Must check my cutters today, would be great if I have one the correct radius.
 Steve, I have a number of gouges and chisels, all razor sharp, as I collect old wood working tools. This may be the way to go.

Cheers David

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 02:24:04 PM »

Spent today carving the handle to shape. Did not have suitable router cutters, so it was gouges and chisels, followed by course filing and abrasive belting used by hand.

Offline Spurry

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 02:31:18 PM »
That's a very fine handle. I'd be very apprehensive, myself, about putting a long skinny hole down its centre.
Pete

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 02:41:58 PM »

The handle was now ready for drilling, and was carefully marked out. The handle was set up in the milling machine, and center drilled, followed by a short drill, providing a start for a long special drill. I had to use the special drill in a hand drill as it would not fit in mill. (Ran out of height).  The handle was stained to match the plane's front handle, then given a coat of lacquer. I was quite pleased with the result, and enjoyed using the hand tools.

Cheers  David

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 02:48:42 PM »

Hi Spurry, yes it isn't easy, everything has to be perfectly aligned, and it is a relief when it has been successfully completed.

Thanks for your comments
                                                                                                  Cheers David

Offline millwright

• Leeds West Yorshire
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 03:32:06 PM »
A nice looking job and well done, and those old record plane blades were very good quality steel that really takes a good edge. Hardly ever have to sharpen mine. I dont know what they made the newer blades from but they are rubbish by comparison,

John

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2015, 04:19:32 PM »
That came out great David! I always liked using good chisels etc. for something like that. Gives them something to do!

Re. long holes in wood. When I was building boats we drilled very long holes through the narrow wide timbers that made up keels, by hand, and then pounded drift rod through, and secured with clench rings, rivetting over the rod. Two or three foot deep holes through a 4" thick keel were routine.

To drill deep holes in narrow stock, we would mark the position of the drift rod on the side faces all at once on the timbers clamped together. Then separate them and carried the marks across to their edge faces. Then mark the hole centers on both faces of each timber.

We drilled in half way from each face of a timber to meet in the center. This halved the required drill bit length and halved any error from each end. It also left a clean entry and exit hole with no split-out. Like I said, this was all done with a hand drill, no drill press, or mill.

Masts also were made round and tapered with simple hand tools, not lathes, as so many seem to think. A 32 foot mast isn't large by any means, but imagine needing a 32 foot lathe to make one in a small boatshop!
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

RobWilson

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2015, 02:35:39 AM »
Very nicely Done David  :clap: :clap:

I have a few hand planes under the bench a waiting repair ,I thing one needs a handle .

Rob 

Offline Mark Rand

• Building my workshop
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2015, 06:09:30 PM »
It is a common failing of older Bailey planes to have split handles. When I inherited dad's No4 plane, the handle had split the same way. I'm afraid that I just glued it together, then re-sharpened the  it to make a short scrub plane, since I had my own planes by that time.
RTFM