Author Topic: Gotta stop buying....Metal Gloat  (Read 5286 times)

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
Gotta stop buying....Metal Gloat
« on: April 06, 2009, 02:46:49 PM »
I've been accumulating metal since I began playing in this hobby. I finally figured out today that I need to ease up on building my metal stores and get busy using it....(grin) Here is a photo of the metal rack in my shop.

I've managed to stock up on Brass, Bronze, Copper, Steel, Stainless and quite a good haul of Aluminum.... all by shopping around carefully and keeping the scrappers on my side. Like I once said.... Donuts will get you almost anywhere with a scrapper.

Steve

Offline Twinsquirrel

• never rub another mans rhubarb
Re: Gotta stop buying....Metal Gloat
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 02:50:10 PM »
holy-smoke batman :bugeye:

So many ideas, so little skill

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 03:03:18 PM »
Nice! That is about 20x the amount of metal I have

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 03:38:44 PM »
Only 20x?  I'd be happy if I had 1% of that.  My "stock" is mostly the bits that most people would throw away.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

bogstandard

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 04:10:00 PM »
R,

What is the betting most of that IS what people have thrown away. The secret is being there at the right time to catch it.

Both Steve and myself discussed this well over a year ago, and warned people to start collecting then. Since then the price has gone up dramatically, and to buy from a metal factor now makes our hobbies very expensive.

It is no use sitting back and hope it comes to you, you have to get on your bike and find the stuff.

Ask neighbours and friends that if they are taking anything for disposal, let you have a look at it first. It is astounding what people throw away, and most things have materials in that we can use, even if it is only a bit of 1/4" rod.

Anyway, nice collection Steve, looks like you took our own advice.

I attempted to sort mine into material specific bins under my bench, but run out of bin space, so most is still outside in my big plastic storage box, and laying about the garden, and in even more storage boxes etc etc.

It is nice just to have a bit of a root, and find just the bit you need to do the job.

I was only talking to Stew the other day about the 1/2" thick ali plate my mate gets me for nothing. It is now 55 squid for a 12" square piece. I will use that much for each little engine I make, just for the bed plates and flywheels.

John
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 11:56:45 PM by bogstandard »

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 05:17:48 PM »
When I finally retire some time later on in the year:- instead of a clock as a retirement present:

I've requested a box of bar ends.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stew

« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 05:19:25 PM by sbwhart »
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 06:51:36 PM »
I'll be placing an order with you shortly. Do you have a discount for quanity?  :lol:  :lol:

Nice stach Steve. If my neighbor saw that he would have $$ signs in is eyes. He scraps alot of stuff to make a bit of a side living. Unfortunatly he dosen't deal in material like what you have there.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Baldrocker

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 01:54:33 AM »
Yeah! But watch out for the
 "I cant use that I might need it someday" syndrome.
First sign of which is neatly stacking things on storage shelves
according to type, size, solid, hollow, flat etc.  :(
BR

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 04:08:21 AM »
You know it's funny how quickly you can go off someone.... :ddb:

Nice stash, btw, don't stop collecting when something comes your way. Plenty here would be grateful to help you make some room.... :ddb:

Pure drool..... :)
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 09:55:24 AM »
I'm guilty of the same affliction,

Shorts 16" or less

CRS shorts

gas welding rod, tubing and other longer shorts

plastic shapes and tubing

Have the long stock on a wall storage system, along with the sheet goods standing in racks on edge. Now that the scrap prices have fallen, the offers of material is starting to go back up.
I have been saving the aluminum tubing scraps to improve my gas welding of aluminum and to teach myself TIG this summer.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 10:03:42 AM »
Thanks guys.

Bogster is right about actively looking for materials. I've had some luck with friends giving me cast off metals, but most of it was acquired by getting into the yards and digging it out.

BR....
I did fall for the "but I might need it" barrier once upon a time, but now I reserve that judgment only for very special metals of which I have only a small amount. Trust me.... I'll hack off a chunk of anything these days, with no hesitation.

PTS.....
Thanks for making even me look sane.....LOL. That is one truly impressive material library

Warm weather is upon us and metal prices are as low as they've been in a couple of years. I picked up a few small pieces of brass for $.85 per pound and some 6061 aluminum rounds for $.60, just yesterday. Time to get out and do some scrounging to build up your stock too.

Steve

Online ozzie46

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 11:24:53 AM »
 ( Warm weather is upon us and metal prices are as low as they've been in a couple of years. I picked up a few small pieces of brass for $.85 per pound and some 6061 aluminum rounds for $.60, just yesterday. Time to get out and do some scrounging to build up your stock too. )

Wow Cedge where are you located? They are charging $3.00 a lb. for brass and $ 1.50 a lb for aluminum here in Pueblo, CO.

Only one metal place in town, that has a good selection, lets you scrounge around. He got a corner on the market here. Have other scrap yards but they mostly crush cars and the like.  Not many have brass or aluminum.

Ron

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 12:31:43 PM »
Ron
I'm located in the Carolinas. Admittedly, not every local scrapper is selling at as low prices as I stumbled onto yesterday, but even the less generous are well below the $3.00 range right now.

Steve