The Craftmans Shop > Model Engineering

Side Valve i.c. engine from Bar stock

<< < (49/49)

Brian Rupnow:
Hooray for my side!!! Just as I was about to go bonkers from terminal boredom, I got a call ten minutes ago for some design engineering work starting tomorrow. I have been thinking about using my new engine to run a lighting plant, using an old bicycle generator, the kind with the friction wheel that ran off the front or rear tire. Dearie me!!!---Time has moved on in the last 55 years since I had a bicycle. I went into 3 bike shops and Canadian tire asking about generators for bicycles, and they all looked at me as if I had two heads. Apparently now, if you want a light on your bicycle, you use batteries and LED's. I see many of these generators (also called dynamos) on ebay but I don't totally trust buying used electrical things from people I don't know in places I have never been to. I will pursue this a bit more though, because I would like to have my new engine power something.---Brian

philf:
 Hi Brian,

As you have found out LEDs have revolutionised bike lighting but there are still those who use dynamos. The tyre driven dynamo seems to have disappeared in favour of hub dynamos. I guess the hub type are designed to run at too slow a speed to drive from your engine without a wheel size pulley.

How about just using a permanent magnet motor as a generator.

Phil.

Brian Rupnow:
A very kind gentleman from Michigan who built my Muley style Sawmill and exhibits it at shows around USA has just "volunteered" me a bicycle generator. It will be sent here by snail mail (I assume) and then we will go about building a "lighting plant" for my newest engine to run.---Brian

Stilldrillin:
Brian.
Back when I tinkered with motorcycles. A pal fitted a bicycle hub dynamo, onto the crankshaft of his trails bike. To provide, "bobby dodger" lighting. (ie. no battery)......

It worked!  :thumbup:

David D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version