Author Topic: Vice Stop  (Read 3068 times)

Offline Meldonmech

Vice Stop
« on: August 01, 2014, 10:52:19 AM »
 Hi Guys

Really to hot in the workshop today, but I have been filling and sanding down outside, prior to house painting, and I needed a break.  I was looking for some material in the come in handy box, and came across this item I purchased two years ago at a car boot sale for twenty pence, thinking it could be useful one day.  Something then struck me, I thought this looks very similar to vice stop that ksor has just made.  I checked it against my milling vice, and realized it was made for the job.  I looked at the threaded end and thought yes, about 8M  checked it, and it turned out to be 5/16 BSW, no problem.  Marked out the hole center on the vice, and the set it up against a right angle plate on the mill.  I started drilling with a center drill, followed by the tapping drill, then tapped out the hole, using a center bit in the drill chuck to maintain squareness. Re located the vice on the milling table, fitted the vice stop.  Job done, in half hour.

Must be my lucky day, little projects like this do not often happen.

Cheers David

« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 06:34:32 AM by Meldonmech »

Offline mosey

Re: Vice Stop
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 12:09:31 PM »
and the pictures are....? :worthless:

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 06:37:23 AM »

Thanks for the tip off mosey, no idea what went wrong, but now corrected.

Cheers David

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 06:50:47 AM »
Nice Vice, is it an Abwood? Why the "L" brackets under the hold down nuts, just for swarf?

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 02:19:43 PM »
 Arbalist yes to keep out the swarf, as detailed in my Tee Slot Tips. The vice is an Abwood.

Cheers David
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 06:23:16 AM by Meldonmech »