Author Topic: Am I an Heretic ?  (Read 4672 times)

Offline DavidA

Am I an Heretic ?
« on: July 03, 2014, 04:59:55 PM »
Most people seem to sing the praises of the tool makers clamp; I hate them.

At his point I can already hear enraged voices roaring  'bounder.  Fella should be horsewhipped
 on the steps of his club'.

But let me explain.

I find the engineers clams a finicky tool to use.

The business end of the jaws has to be precisely aligned with both sides
of the object to be gripped.  If they aren't then the thing wont hold properly.
Getting this right involves holding the jaws in place while twiddling the screws until
 the pressure is equal on both of them.

Awkward.

I prefer the humble G clamp.

I know that the 'jaw pads' on these are a bit rough when they are purchased.  But a few
 rubs with a file sorts that out.

The pivot action of the loose jaw pad makes for much easier use than the 'fixed'
ends of the engineers clamp.

I do use both types.  But only use the engineers type when I can't get a G clamp in to do the job.

Am I the only one here that feel this way ?

Dave.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Am I an Heretic ?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 05:12:03 PM »
David, I think it's 'horses for courses'. I use a whole range of clamps ranging from tiny 'toolmakers clamps' up to 6 foot long (and more) sash cramps.

Often the 'toolmakers clamp' is awkward sometimes as it is bulky on both sides of the job. There is a single sided versio
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline krv3000

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 05:31:58 PM »
you can not have to meny clamps i prefer g clamps to

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 05:44:03 PM »
I don't particularly like either. Bessey make some of the best clamps IMO. I like their F clamps and the plier clamps are very nice.

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 11:59:45 AM »
David (& All),

Please understand, I have more than 2800 lbs of clamps (cramps, as they used to call them on Old Blighty when I was a kid) of various types & sizes.  The so-called toolmaker's clamps have their place in my repertoire, but I probably only pull my cache of them out on alternate leap years.  When I do need them, they are the perfect answer to the problem at hand.

I probably use C (G) clamps 85% of the time.  The half-C type of clamp (i.e. the screw half of a C clamp with a bolt-down part at the frame) is my second most used clamping device.  Cam-operated bar clamps are probably my third most used clamping device.  Etc.

Were you not using what works you might be a heretic.  And yes, I made nearly all my toolmaker's clamps as an apprentice machinist.  Making them was a very good exercise and teaching tool.  But, as I said, I rarely use them.

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 03:03:05 PM »
I really prefer the Twist Clamps, or "Kant twist clamp".. not as easy to make as toolmakers clamp. but still you only need like maaaybe four... and arent as finnicky. =)
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 05:04:52 PM »
Those do look like nice clamps. Not sure how much they are now but they were quite pricey over here for what they are.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 05:37:30 PM »
I have a pair to that design that I bought from Home & Workshop perhaps 30 years ago - they are certainly the business in some situations
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 06:05:04 PM »
You got a lathe, and a mill in most cases. And sometimes a grinder and someway of cutting steel.. Why would you pay for clamps.. ever? Make a bunch of wooden template blocks to grind the profiles on using a belt sander or similar. The Kant twist original is horribly expensive.. But the design is so damn simple. And Rivet steel pins to a piece of 18 gauge mild steel aint that much work. =)
The screwy part you just fix with circclips in on both sides of the pushy and pully bit. If your lazy like me. =)
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 06:55:48 PM »
I believe this topic was brought up some time ago. It was suggested if you could just buy the side plates it would be easy to make the other parts.

Anyone got a laser cutter? ....  :D

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 08:53:48 PM »
No lazy cutter here!  :D

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 08:30:07 PM »
I have a plasma cutter,  it is the newest toy.  But it seems I need to go over everything with an angle grinder as I do not think milling cutters et al would like the burnt edge?
From the den of The Artful Bodger