Author Topic: Sieg SX3 Milling Machine, What Vice??  (Read 8781 times)

Offline DarrenUK

Sieg SX3 Milling Machine, What Vice??
« on: June 24, 2014, 09:17:30 AM »
I am in the process of upgrading my SX2 milling machine to a SX3 milling machine, i need a new vice for the SX3 machine and am considering one of the screwless vices (See attached image). Does anyone here use one of these vices with their SX3 machine? If so, what size do you have 3" or 4"? Im not sure what size is best suited to the machine.

Offline scottmk1

Re: Sieg SX3 Milling Machine, What Vice??
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 10:26:25 AM »
Hi, I have one like shown above, except mine has slots in the side for toe clamps to hold it down, I got it from ARC and its seems to be good quality for the money. I think mines is the 5" or 6" so cant say how it would be suited to your machine but I find it a pain in the backside to use at times due to the way the tightening mechanism works, so if I was to buy again Id got for a conventional type mill vice.

Offline DarrenUK

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 11:02:35 AM »
Thanks for your reply. After reading around the Internet I actually agree that it may be a mistake if I were to purchase one of these screwless vices. Many others have stated that they are awkward to tighten due to the mechanism and do not hold all that well. I think I will look around at standard milling vices. Probably 4" will be best suited to my machine.

Offline mattinker

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 11:47:12 AM »
I have two of these vices, I have found that they hold very well but that they need a small modification to make them easier to set up.

On the left, the original nut, on the right rectangular replacement.

The rectangular section stops the nut turning in the slot which means that it always engages properly. I find two 2" vices (2" width) very useful, allowing work to be held in between.  I do have another no name 4" inch vice, but I don't use it as much as the screw-less. two vices are a lot cheaper than a Kurt!!

Regards, Matthew

Offline garym

• Manchester, England
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 04:59:34 PM »
ARC included one of these in the price when I got my SX3, along with a load of other useful goodies.

Gary

edit: It's 100mm jaw width and has done everything I've asked of it so far. If I was buying again I might consider the tilting version instead.
Workshop activity resumes now ankle improving :-)

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 07:33:51 PM »
For everyday use, I made my own:

I do have others including a screwless and a tilting and so on but mine is sufficiently accurate and is dead easy to setup.

Jim
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 02:28:56 AM by dsquire »

Offline RodW

• Vehicle Modifications Network
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 05:59:02 AM »
I use a Vertex 4" K vice http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/V104

It only opens 63 mm so it is a bit limiting.

One day I will get one of these as they pull the part down when tightened and opne 4"
http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/V304
RodW
Brisbane, Australia

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 12:35:56 PM »
The only thing I don't like the look of with the Vertex (Kurt style) vice is that it's open at the top which is surely a swarf trap?
I would have an Abwood vice again any day, stupidly I sold mine a long while ago.
Home & Workshop used to sell these, a nice looking low profile vice. Sadly they no longer seem to be available?

Offline DarrenUK

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 01:14:44 PM »
Anyone using a Vertex Va4 with an SX3 machine? Would like to see some pictures of that setup to see how big the vice is in comparison with the machine.

Offline mattinker

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 02:17:00 PM »
I don't know whether you had noticed that people taken the time take photos to show you their solutions. The size of the vice has more to do with the work you intend to do than the size of your mill. I have a relatively big mill, but for small work, 2" vices are adequate. Do you have any other hold downs? The vice is not the only way to hold down work.  Have you seen Tom Liptons Videos? He uses a "mini pallet" for quit a lot of things.

Regards, Matthew

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 02:29:39 PM »
"Mini Pallet", I'm intrigued Matthew. Have you got a link?

Offline DarrenUK

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 02:31:08 PM »
I don't know whether you had noticed that people taken the time take photos to show you their solutions. The size of the vice has more to do with the work you intend to do than the size of your mill. I have a relatively big mill, but for small work, 2" vices are adequate. Do you have any other hold downs? The vice is not the only way to hold down work.  Have you seen Tom Liptons Videos? He uses a "mini pallet" for quit a lot of things.

Regards, Matthew

Thanks for the info Matthew.
I have a couple of small vices but am looking for something better quality that what I already have. I had my mind made up to purchase the Vertex K4 as the size is perfect for the SX3 machine but the realised that the jaws only open up to 62mm, for what I need to use it for I need minimum 75mm.

Offline mattinker

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 02:44:37 PM »
"Mini Pallet", I'm intrigued Matthew. Have you got a link?

These are just two videos in which Tom uses the mini pallet. There are more! Obviously a mini pallet can be bolted directly to the table.

Tom Lipton is a mine of information, subscribe, he does weekly videos.

Regards, Matthew
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 04:56:48 PM by dsquire »

Offline philf

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 03:15:13 PM »
Thanks for the info Matthew.
I have a couple of small vices but am looking for something better quality that what I already have. I had my mind made up to purchase the Vertex K4 as the size is perfect for the SX3 machine but the realised that the jaws only open up to 62mm, for what I need to use it for I need minimum 75mm.

I have a 4" vice from Chronos which opens to 4". It is less than £100. See http://chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/Engineering_Menu_TWV_Swivel_Milling_Vices_93.html (More details at: http://www.shobha-india.com/precision-machine-vises/precision-machine-vices-p3.html#1 )

I did a paying job for a company a few years ago and they bought me the vice in lieu of payment which suited both of us.

It's not as good as my 4" Abwood but is useful on the occasions when I need to hold a big lump of metal which is wider than 70mm. I do have a couple of 6" Abwoods but they are really too big for my mill (and too heavy for me). (If AdeV is reading this he still has to collect one!)

Cheers.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline DarrenUK

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 01:15:55 PM »
Thanks for all the replies and info. My mind is pretty much made up and I have decided that although pretty chunky the Vertex Ga4 vice is what I am going to order.