Author Topic: Milling machine stand  (Read 10344 times)

Offline Bigbadbugga

• Whiston (nr Liverpool)
Milling machine stand
« on: June 29, 2014, 05:07:15 PM »

Just a quickie,

I'm building a cabinet for my new milling machine (chester champion 20vs) and was wondering what height to build it to. My first thought was around the 3' (90cm) level which puts the base around hip height.

What do you guys think?
Tools: Boxford CSB lathe, Chester 20v mill, Portamig 185. Lots of ideas, No motivation.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Re: Milling machine stand
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 05:10:36 PM »
Hi, I can't help with your question as I'd just be guessing and I'm sure others will have purpose built stands and can give you exact dimensions. However, I'm moving house and will need a stand for my mill (x3) and so I'm watching! I'd appreciate any pictures of how you construct it and the dimensions you go for!

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 05:29:27 PM »
It must vary considerably from mill design to design. It is after all the table height and control height that is important for setting and measuring parts.

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Bigbadbugga

• Whiston (nr Liverpool)
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 05:32:54 PM »
I have a workbench in the shop that is 90cm so I think I might just haul the mill onto that and get a feel for it at that height, then I can adjust as I feel necessary.

As for design, I'm building it from stuff I have lying about in the workshop. I have some 100x50x3 rhs left over from when I built the bench and loads of 50x25x3 so I'll use that stuff for legs and framework.

As for format, I'm thinking 3 or 4 full extension drawers for tooling and a cupboard underneath for bigger items.
Tools: Boxford CSB lathe, Chester 20v mill, Portamig 185. Lots of ideas, No motivation.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 06:30:34 PM »
Eye, but take pics of the construction if you will  :dremel: as I'm not reet good at welding so if I cut all my lengths I might take it to my local engineers and ask them to weld it for me  :doh:  a kind member on here gave me a welder but I just don't get enough practice.

Offline Bigbadbugga

• Whiston (nr Liverpool)
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 07:25:17 PM »
Eye, but take pics of the construction if you will  :dremel: as I'm not reet good at welding so if I cut all my lengths I might take it to my local engineers and ask them to weld it for me  :doh:  a kind member on here gave me a welder but I just don't get enough practice.

Ok, I'll try to take some pics of construction then.

Only thing is, once I get into the swing of building something I tend to get engrossed and forget to take the pictures.

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 07:48:53 PM »
One thing to consider is the center of gravity when the table is in the forward, left, right position affecting  leveling pads.

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 09:31:05 PM »
I am 6 feet tall and like to do some of my work while sitting on a stool. My milling table is 41 inches above the floor. At that height I can stand without bending and sit without reaching to high. I do have to stand to change the "Z" axis but only briefly. My mill is the same as yours except for the name. Mine is a Grizzly. It came with the stand that is optional with the Chester mill. I had to raise it 3 inches to get to the height I needed. Here is how I did it.

Joe

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 11:48:57 PM »
Looks good I want to raise mine the same as what you have done.

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 03:49:30 AM »
Hi 75

That is a neat raising base you have built, well done

Cheers   David

Offline Bigbadbugga

• Whiston (nr Liverpool)
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 04:15:43 AM »

75plus, that's great info thanks.

I think my proposed 3' height puts the milling table at around 40"

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 04:39:12 AM »
It's already been worked out for you:

http://www.chesterhobbystore.com/machine-stands-4379-p.asp

http://toolco.co.uk/pages/home/machine-stands.php

http://www.axminster.co.uk/metal-working/milling/mill-stands

Also check out the Grizzly site, they're very good for manuals so should note dimensions etc.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 05:19:28 AM by Arbalist »

Offline Bigbadbugga

• Whiston (nr Liverpool)
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 09:11:15 AM »

Thanks Arabist, I had looked at the Chester stand originally. Thing is though, when I viewed the mill in the Chester showroom it was sat on the stand and seemed to be at the perfect height for comfortable use. Then I noticed that the whole assembly was displayed on a stage that was several inches higher than the floor I was stood on.

Offline Deko

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 12:03:47 PM »
I bought my mill and lathe at the same time and both came with a stand. The mill stand was a danger to life and limb, much too narrow to give ANY stability at all, so I made my own from scrap (as usual).
Height is 32" to the top of the stand, but like Joe it is a compromise as I also often sit down whilst milling
or turning.  The stand has two draws and a shelf under the draws. The photo only shows the top bit of the stand but I am sure you get the idea. :scratch:

Cheers Dek. :med:

P.S. Did you go to the open week BBB ?   I got a 50mm boring head on a 2MT arbor, brand new, for £10.

P.P.s   Different Photo, this one shows the whole stand

Offline Deko

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 12:11:36 PM »
Ooops !  Photo a bit on the big side. Should have resized first.  Calling moderators HELP!

Offline Bigbadbugga

• Whiston (nr Liverpool)
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2014, 01:31:20 PM »

Deko, that stand is a work of art and pretty much exactly what I'm aiming at.

At 32" it's around 4" shorter than I'm planning. Do you think that would be to high? (I'm 5'11" tall btw)

And no, I didn't make it to the open day in the end.:(

Offline Deko

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2014, 01:57:28 PM »
Hi BBB,   Same height as me, and if I were to just stand at the mill, rather than sitting down most of the time, I would have made mine the same height as you are intending.  Gravity has already robbed me of an inch over the last ten years (I was once 6ft) and I also have emphysema so I can't stand for very long. :(
It's bloody great fun getting old you know, but I still can't recommend it. :hammer:

Cheers Dek.

P.S. Still waiting for you to make the trip over to Crewe when I could take you round for a visit to "bogs"
before he sells up and stops playing at MM.

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2014, 02:33:34 PM »
Along with adding 75 mm to the height I also added 165 mm to the effective width so I could fore-go installing concrete anchors. The present width is 560 mm which gives a solid support even when the table is at either extreme.

Offline philf

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2014, 03:27:32 PM »

It's bloody great fun getting old you know, but I still can't recommend it. :hammer:

Dek,

The one alternative to getting old isn't too appealing.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline Bigbadbugga

• Whiston (nr Liverpool)
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2014, 03:19:23 PM »

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2014, 04:04:37 PM »
Looking good. Battleship grey or something more colourful when the weldings done?

Offline Bigbadbugga

• Whiston (nr Liverpool)
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2014, 04:42:40 PM »

I have lots of aldi metal paint in silver.

So it looks like it might be silver.

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2014, 04:55:06 PM »

I have lots of aldi metal paint in silver.

So it looks like it might be silver.

The Champion is White/Grey isn't it? Should look good with a silver stand!  :beer:

Offline Deko

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2014, 05:17:34 PM »

Dek,

The one alternative to getting old isn't too appealing.

Spot on there Phil.  That's why I laugh at the slings and arrows old age throws at me -----hells bells ! it's got to me brain as well now.  ARRRRRRRRRG  am going to bed. :wave:

Phil.