Author Topic: Screws  (Read 5129 times)

Offline Arbalist

Screws
« on: June 22, 2014, 07:05:11 AM »
This is a really good article.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives

I never understood why we continued using Philips screws and to a slightly lesser degree Posidriv(e).
When I went to Canada over 12 years ago I was intrigued to see "Robby" drivers and screws and bought a few drivers, inserts and a couple of boxes of small screws. Given the choice I don't think I'd use any other type of wood screw.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Screws
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 07:12:02 AM »
Almost entirely driven by the needs of assembly lines. A cruciform socket self centres and engages quickly - think air operated drivers suspended of balances in a production set up. Then try and use the Robertson square drives - you'd never get the square peg in the hole fast enough.

(Many Launderette tumble driers are imported from Canada  into the UK (Huebsch) and have the square drive screws)
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Bigbadbugga

• Whiston (nr Liverpool)
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 07:32:39 AM »

I guess that square drive is fine for most applications when screwing into wood and other soft materials, but when higher torque is needed you need the extra drive contact offered by the torx and other multi edge drive systems.
Tools: Boxford CSB lathe, Chester 20v mill, Portamig 185. Lots of ideas, No motivation.

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 09:09:38 AM »
Almost entirely driven by the needs of assembly lines. A cruciform socket self centres and engages quickly - think air operated drivers suspended of balances in a production set up. Then try and use the Robertson square drives - you'd never get the square peg in the hole fast enough.

I knew about the history of cross head screws, its also covered in the link.  :doh:

I'm talking about us, not industry, and more specifically wood screws.
Of course the last dishwasher and washing machine I bought were covered in Torx screws so perhaps when I said "us" perhaps I should have included industry as well.

I have bought Robby screws here before, Nettlefolds used to sell them but I've just found this site.

http://www.squarescrews.co.uk/

If you have any large woodworking projects give them a try.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 11:12:50 AM »
.... sorry I spoke    :bugeye:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 11:58:06 AM »
No offence!  :D

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 02:36:11 PM »
I have never ever seen a square socket "robby" screw before and I've had, hummm, plenty of screws.  :med:

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 07:53:50 AM »
It's neat how few people know the difference between phillips and posidriv, and end up rounding over posidrive screws using phillips screwdrivers and vice versa. Phillips/ posidriv don't seem to have done much of a good job marketing since their screws have gotten a bad reputation from of it.

Offline Beone

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 09:43:57 AM »
As I understand the story, when Ford needed a screw that could be power driven, he hired Robertson to design one.  When he found that Robertson was entitled to royalties he dropped him and got the Phillips.

Offline mcostello

• Lancaster, Ohio
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 01:00:56 PM »
And We got screwed! (Phillips) :clap:
High Speed steel in a Carbide world.