Author Topic: Bench grinder setups  (Read 2981 times)

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
Bench grinder setups
« on: June 12, 2014, 10:57:00 AM »
 With the help of a friend, I have finally completed Howard Hall’s Delux Grinding rest. I  have a 4” aluminum oxide cup wheel and a diamond cup wheel for HSS, and would like to get Silicon Carbide wheels for carbide bits, though I don’t have many carbide tools. I currently have a nice Black and Decker bench grinder with the usual stock coarse and fine wheels on it. I have dressed the wheels, but never changed them.
My question is, is it a real hassle to change from one type of wheel to another? Do I have to true the wheels each time they’re installed? Or is it worth the investment to get another decent grinder or two and permanently set them up as carbide  and HHS grinders? Are 1/2" wheels adaquate, or do iI need 3/4"?
Chuck :scratch:
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 12:55:56 PM by Chuck in E. TN »
Chuck in E. TN
Famous TN last words: "Hey ya'll, watch this..."
MicroMark 7x14, HF X2 mill, Green 4x6 saw. Harbor Freight 170A mig

Offline mattinker

Re: Bench grinder setups
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 02:15:01 PM »
The diamond cup wheel will work fin for carbide. The green wheels are OK for roughing out carbide, but a nice fine diamond will give a good finish! I would buy (I have myself bought!) buy a second bench grinder, just to have all the wheels available all the time, touching up or grinding a tool shouldn't slow you down!

Regards, Matthew.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 05:15:38 PM by mattinker »

Offline DavidA

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 04:28:45 PM »
Chuck,

Half inch wheels should be fine in an amateur workshop.

And you won't waste as much wheel when you true up as you would with a wider one.

Another grinder will save you a lot of time.

Dave.

Offline chipenter

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 05:10:28 PM »
I fitted a diamond disk at one end best thing I did , the diamond doesn't get as hot and leaves a very nice finish on HSS and carbide .
Jeff

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 05:54:55 PM »
I've never liked the hollow grind you get with grindstones so switched to sharpening most of my tools on a belt sander years ago.
Must get a diamond cup wheel though for sharpening carbide!