Author Topic: Axial Nut Splitter  (Read 4909 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Axial Nut Splitter
« on: June 05, 2014, 01:28:41 PM »
Is there such a thing as an 'Axial Nut Splitter' ? ie one that slips over a nut rather as does a socket, rather than radial as per the conventional type?

I have various sizes of the conventional 'radial' ones but I have an application (*) where I need to remove very rusty nuts but there is no room for a normal splitter. If I have to I'll burn the nuts off with oxy-acetylene, but I'd rather not.

(* I need to remove the 10 mm coach bolts that retain the mudguards on a Ford 4600 tractor that I'm working on)
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
Re: Axial Nut Splitter
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 02:18:46 PM »
can you drill the head off from above? (or is the coach bolt irreplaceable)

Bill

Offline David Jupp

• Teesside - UK
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 02:49:54 PM »
Where using oxy-acetylene is a problem due to nearby items, or just lack of access; there are other ways to get heat in that might be worth considering...

I have one of these http://autoheat.co.uk/

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 05:49:39 PM »
Bill I probably can drill them out - the square that stops them rotating normally sits in rather rusty steel that probably won't stop rotation any more, they somehow need restraint and access is very awkward .
David that looks a handy device in some situations but I think here where the nuts have been in wet cow poop for over thirty years, a full head on blast from oxy-acetylene is probably going to be the only way !
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline PeterE

• Gothenburg
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 05:58:38 PM »
Would it be possible to get access to the nut to cut it using a Dremel and a cutting disc? That way it should be easy enough to finally split it using a small chisel?

/Peter
Always at the edge of my abilities, too often beyond ;-)

Online RussellT

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 06:20:34 PM »
Can you drill a couple of holes through the nut?

Russell
Common sense is unfortunately not as common as its name suggests.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 07:25:26 PM »
If they're really rusty, and I know the bolt is in bad shape and going to be replaced, I usually take a pair of vice grips and come at the nut end-on, clamp tight on the flats - top and bottom (or whatever way has clearance), and then rock the vice grips lightly up and down until the bolt fatigues through and breaks off behind the nut. Then bang the bolt back through with a drift.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline mattinker

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 08:09:39 PM »
I have used a cold chisel from the side. If you can hit nut with a chisel in the middle and at right angles to the flat (the chisel parallel with the stud or bolt) you can split the nut without damaging the thread. you don't need to cut very far into the nut, as as soon as it splits you can unscrew it. This works very well on things like exhaust manifold nuts damaged by rust.

it's a little difficult to describe, get back to me if it's not clear, I take a photo.

Regards, Matthew.

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 12:51:29 AM »
Andrew, sometimes it is easier to attack the head of the bolt and presumably in your case the rounded bolt heads are easily accessible on the 'finished' side of the mudguard assembly?

In that case drill into the head of the bolt, start with 6mm or less then follow with a 10mm drill.  Once you are through the head and into the bolt proper there will be so little bolt you will be able to break it off.

Cheers.
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 12:36:53 PM »
I've just removed several 'coach bolts' from my plastic guttering which had corroded over the 13 years since installation. I literally had to spot drill and then follow up with a stub drill. All removed save one which required so much that the plastic melted.  As your problem is probably metal, I'd put a thin disc in the angle grinder and make a notch to use a drift on. My guess is that the heat of grinding will burst the rust which is stopping the release.

I've just done fretted and rusted in blades on one of my shredders. Bloody countersunk 6mm Allen key things.

The new blades were £10 for both. My sympathy, Eh?

Norman