Author Topic: At last...  (Read 6735 times)

Offline Kjelle

At last...
« on: June 04, 2014, 06:59:45 PM »
After many false leads, and even more futile phone calls, at last I have a lathe!! I was lucky enough to pick up a Einhell BT-ML 300 (think blue SIEG C2) tonight, with some tooling, for SEK 4500... Some brazed cutters, a keyless chuck with arbor, and some centre drills. The seller included some plastic and aluminium bars he had bought to practice on... Unfortunatly, didn't have time to snap any pictures, will rectify that tomorrow or during ths weekend...

Kjelle  :worthless:

Offline ddoyle

• If it aint broke.....It will be!!!!
Re: At last...
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 02:20:33 PM »
Congrats on the purchase....I just got my first lathe 3 weeks ago...although it is a Mini Lathe....I'm already scouring for a bigger one!! ;)

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 02:44:25 PM »
Sounds good! Yes, let's see some pics when you get a minute. If the brazed tools are like the ones I bought (before I knew any better) they'll end up in the bin!

Offline Kjelle

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 04:41:11 AM »
Here are some pic's; Please tell me if they are invisible!

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 11:32:36 AM »
Kjelie

Your photo's are very visable and are the perfect size for easy viewing by the forum members. Thanks for posting them. It looks like you made a nice purchase there.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 04:28:25 PM »
Congrats on the lathe.

What are you going to do with it? What is the first project?

My take on the lathe tools:
* You have there aluminium and plastics (nylon/POM?) which is great for practice
* However you have brazed carbide tools which IMHO is not very ideal for anything else that breaking the skin off from cast iron....
* I never had much luck with brazed carbide, sharpening needs green grit wheels or diamond, dust is carcinogenic, not easy to really really sharp, limited rake angle (inset gets thin, brittle). Most brazed tools I have got is junk.

Can you sharpen HSS? Can you use coolant or do you want to use coolant on iron metals?

There are many opions, but I do most of my turing on my little 150 kg chinese lathe with carbide inserts, dry, and run the hell out of it, really would not mind have extra 2kW more power....HSS needs whole lot less speed and power but really needs coolat and sharpening.

What is your take?

Pekka

Offline Kjelle

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 12:43:03 AM »
Thanks guys!

Pekka, I plan to get some HSS and a small grinder, I've read enough about cheap brazed carbide to be wary of it... First projects are an axle for the brake pedal on my Ancillotti, and probably a fly wheel puller for the magneto/ignition on the same bike. Both involves cutting some threads, which will be a challenge! But I will practice before going "live".... After that, I don't know, a "coffee cup stirling" maybe?

Kjelle

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 06:29:18 AM »
Sweede.

Sounds like you are on the right path. Most important thing is to have some right size work and develop a feel to it - it will help a lot later on. You pretty much have an idea what size of work can be mounted and turned on it, what is the right speed and how sharp the HSS has to be.

Internet is a wonderful place for information and misinformation. E.G. a lot of schematic, angles and grinding instructions on HSS for hobby use, but often same opinion is recycled countless times without much evolution. Some things you must figure out yourself. Some years ago (after reading most popular books on the topic, trawling the internet and trying a lot of different materials, speeds etc) I thought I had it pretty much figured out....later on I realized that the general shape of tool (as illustrated on publications) is pretty correct, but scale is misleading. Angles matter only about at DOC, rest of the tool could look like a carrot and it really does not matter as long as the tool is stiff enough. Other realization was the direction you sharpen very tip...best to sharpen same direction your work revolves. E.G. tool meets the sharpening stone same direction that the piece you are turning. Obvious exception being rake angle. I use a diamond lap to finish area near nose radius.

Another thing is amount of cutting fluid...sometimes a straight cutting oil applied with brush is fine, sometimes not.

For me biggest obstacle is finding freecutting steel. Looks like minimum order is in least 600 kg of one single bar size. I have bought probably 100 kg of bar stock on junk yard and found ONE hex bar of old leaded steel, rest of it useless junk or very specialized steel that makes eyes to water if touch it HSS. Fine with inserts, but drilling is pretty hard and threading even harder. Hope things are easier on Sweden. If they are I'll fuel up my car and order a ferry ticket to scource some 200 kg of free cutting steel for my personal hobby use.

PekkaNF

Offline Kjelle

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 01:55:08 PM »
Pekka, I might have a lead on off cuts from a big supplier, but before I have been there, I won't say anything, as my knowledge is a few years old... But I will share it once I have been proven right (or wrong)...

Kjelle

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 03:36:23 PM »
Kjelle, hog up all easy to machine metal you can lay your hands on. The source might dry :lol: A year ago I tough I have endless supply of cast iron off-cuts (perfect size dia 100 -130 mm, same lenght). They closed the machine shop and moved production to china. Fat chance of getting offcuts from there. I did got few, because cast iron chunks don't fetch much.

I have whole lot better with band saw blades, carbide inserts, drills here are few machine tools supply shops that sell private persons too.

Pekka

Offline Ugluk

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 01:53:30 AM »
Kjelle, when you fail utterly to do any kind of parting off with those parting tools, dont beat yourself up about it.
I've tried those, and the bladeholders are made from cheese and will deform.
Congrats on the lathe though. Now you only need to get to know it.

Offline Kjelle

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 01:32:41 PM »
Well, today I tried something I thought would be hard... Threading. Took a while to figure out the banjo and gears, but it wasn't too hard (just bloody fiddly!), and started everything up... First I realised that the 8 mm stuff PO had bought, didn't align with the centre line, too high by 2-3 mm... So off to use the 6 mm stuff, and he probably took some very deep cuts, as they seem to be chipped... Well, I did face and square a piece of plastic, and started threading... No particular diameter, just a random piece reasonably square, but with gearing for 1 mm thread...
The tools are not in their best shape, as can be seen, but as far as I can make out, it's a 1 mm thread. Very happy bunny!! :nrocks:

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2014, 03:36:26 PM »
Very nice! Did you found out why thread has often groove in the end?

Pekka

Offline Kjelle

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 03:40:47 PM »
Hi Pekka! Yes, did find that out... But I was already expecting that, lurkoing here and on other forums... Waiting for my HSS tools from ARC to arrive, so I can try some more things!

I'll try to find that supplier later this week, when SWAMBO is at work, and the honey-do's are done! I need some 27+mm steel for the fly wheel puller (the thread is, if I remember correctly, M27x1, I'll make one from plastic to test before)

Kjelle

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2014, 03:22:45 AM »
good - goog - good

What kind of threading tools you got?

I have tried several and because my grinding skills suck I am gyrating towards carbide inserts even when I know that sharp HSS (+ cutting oil/paste) is superior pretty much in all respects with manual machines in home work shop. Some people are that good making threads that they make them ready in the lathe - I need finish then with a threading die or tap (many anyway).

Pekka

Offline Kjelle

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2014, 02:48:37 PM »
Pekka, I have just what came in those blue boxes.... Brazed carbide. I have ordered a 6 mm set from Arc, and some other stuff (63 tooth change wheel among it), and plan to learn/try some grinding (when I get a grinder). I might build a tangential toolholder, or buy some threading, insert tools if that fails... A flip up threading tool is one project I'm contemplating, after the bike parts/tools, and the list is growing!

Right now, I'm looking for a metal supplier, I just found out that the place I thought I could use, has stopped taking cash customers, and minimum billing is 500 SEK + tax... And I don't thing they allow walk-in customers any more  :bang:

Kjelle