Author Topic: Is turning the windings off a motor armature a bad idea?  (Read 4021 times)

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
Is turning the windings off a motor armature a bad idea?
« on: May 31, 2014, 01:29:30 PM »

I want to replace the shaft of an outrunner motor I just bought with the shaft from this, so I can use the gear on the end. I feel like trying to press it out would be pretty hopeless, and risk ruining the center holes on each end.

I got as far as making a lathe dog before thinking that it's maybe a bad idea safety wise. The windings are potted in with epoxy so I can't remove them first, but there might be a chance of a clump of them getting loose and snagging on the lathe tool or something.

Would that be a real problem or am I just getting paranoid?

Offline John Rudd

Re: Is turning the windings off a motor armature a bad idea?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 02:19:30 PM »
Steve,
Take the bearing off the end of the shaft .....
Mount between your chuck and a centre in the tail stock.....

Now with a hacksaw, saw thru the windings just after the rotor stampings. :dremel:
You then need to remove the wire in between the 'ears' ....you can just cut thru with a saw blade down to towards the centre..and remove the wire as you go.....the rotor stampings will eventually come free...there's a plastic 'stamping' at each end of the rotor that has a sleeve extension that the shaft passes thru. You can pull the plastic off from the shaft..
Once the wire is removed and the plastic stamping you should be able to remove the shaft without any damage....the rotor stampings will be free....

Slowly slowly catchy monkey...... :D

Out of curiosity, what diameter is the rotor? And how many copper segments are there on the commutator?   ( might make a nice brushless motor if it's 12..... :lol:)

eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 02:37:09 PM »
Thanks. I'll give that a try.

The rotor diameter is 32mm but the commutator has more than 12 segments. I've also already mangled the thing on the lathe a bit.

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 03:17:19 PM »
Well I got the ends off and then found out that the real shaft of the armature is only 9mm diameter, its only 12 at the end. Which means it isn't suitable for what i'd intended. What a bummer!

Thanks anyways though.

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 10:47:43 PM »
You could easily bond a steel sleeve onto the 9mm portion then mount btwn centres and turn to the size you require.

Use one of the loctite retainer compound adhesives for the bonding and it is sure to stay put....OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up