Author Topic: Wood lathe headstock and motor ... buckshee.  (Read 2290 times)

Offline Eugene

Wood lathe headstock and motor ... buckshee.
« on: May 20, 2014, 03:58:42 PM »
There's no hurry with this one! I have the complete headstock and motor / pulley assembly off a Ferm woodturning lathe that's getting under my feet. It was scheduled as a sander / linisher / polisher build but with all the other projects on hand it has to go.

370W single phase motor (1400 rpm) in a cast iron headstock; five position pulleys on the spindle and motor shaft give 480, 850, 1310, 2120 and 3010 rpm. The spindle thread is well battered but would clean up; it looks to be about 3/4" 16 tpi. Its dirty but in fair basic nick and sounds just fine.

Buckshee for anyone prepared to collect from Welshpool Mid Wales. I go down to Brum on Mondays near J6 M6 so i could meet someone there too.

Eug

Offline Pete W.

Re: Wood lathe headstock and motor ... buckshee.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 06:27:44 PM »
Hi there, Eugene,

3/4" x 16 TPI Whitworth form is 3/4" electrical conduit thread (pre-metrication).  The Coronet Minor machine I used to have had the same spindle thread.

Both taps and dies for that thread used to be common which helps making accessories. 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!