The Craftmans Shop > PowerSports

1954 Ford 850 Tractor w/blown Head Gasket (at the very least)

<< < (4/28) > >>

awemawson:
Steve
The less rigid your machine the more advantageous is a heavy lump as a fly cutter body. This is particularly so with intermittent cuts as the mass reduces chatter. As you are cutting cast iron your rpm will be fairly low so it shouldn't be too terrifying so long as it is well balanced.

vtsteam:
Good point, Andrew. I guess the main thing I'm worried abut is that the long arm and frequent interrupted cut with a heavy weight acting downward on the arbor might cause it to shift downward in the R8 collet, which could be a real disaster to both the head and the tool, and maybe the mill spindle. I'm not sure what my maximum arbor size is -- I think I have a 7/8" collet in R8, I'll check. Whatever that is, that will have to be the arbor size. Probably would have been better if I had an R8 blank I could weld directly to the fly cutter disk, so I wouldn't use a collet at all.

Spring up isn't good  in a tool like this for accuracy, but it does give you a little protection over massive solidity. I guess the best to hope for if I use this disk is that the insert would shatter in an accident.

I have had parts shift in the past on the mill table after several passes with an interrupted cut, my own fault, true. I know what can happen even with much smaller tools. It's a real good lesson, but kind of makes you gun shy in looking at future rigs.

vtsteam:
Some photos.
As found:

Here's the tractor with the head off. I've been scraping cleaning and painting a little as I go. I also have a new manifold for it shown here.

vtsteam:
Here's the proposed 11 pound fly cutter blank and insert next to a store bought 3" cutter.

vtsteam:
If I'm using carbide on cast iron, does that mean 600 fpm @ ~7" dia or  about 380 RPM?

Can I run slower?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version