Author Topic: Corner Notcher Mystery  (Read 7220 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Corner Notcher Mystery
« on: April 29, 2014, 12:14:39 PM »
A recent addition to my sheet metal working kit is this Kingsland W3 Corner Notcher, reputedly able to cut a corner notch of 75 mm x 75 mm from 1.6 mm plate.

It would be extremely usful if it did what is says on the tin, but it doesn't  :bang:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Corner Notcher Mystery
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 12:22:33 PM »
This is potentially very useful when folding up trays and boxes.

The massive 75 mm square punch is foot driven and arranged by having the cutting face tilted, so that a progressive cut is made. First contact is at the rear, with the shear action progressing forwards to the corner, then from left to right across the other face of the corner.

Now the punch was pretty blunt and someone looked to have titivated it with an angle grinder  :bang: However I brought it down parallel to what looks to be the original face giving clean cutting edges. As the face tilts in two directions but is a plane, it was a tricky bit of setting up.

It now cuts very happily on its first fore & aft edge, but with the 1.5 mm plate I've been using it is virtually impossible to progress the cut on the side to side direction.

Now if you look at the two sides of the cutter block, they have markedly differing angles to them.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 12:29:15 PM »
Now the fore & aft cutter changes in height by 11 mm in its 75 mm length, whereas the side to side one only changes by about 2.5 mm

Surely this cannot be correct  :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

Anyone with experience of these things, or has one who can make comparative measurements for me?

I have a feeling I may need to dig out some of my hoard of O1 tool steel blanks and make one with equal angles, but it's a bit of a bind to have to go to that trouble
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline RussellT

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 12:59:59 PM »
What do the other two edges look like?

Is it possible that the cutter could be mounted in the wrong position?

Russell
Common sense is unfortunately not as common as its name suggests.

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 01:05:21 PM »
I was just about to suggest it was in the wrong way, I havent ever used a non hydraulic one but the ones i have used (as far as i can remember) tend to have the leading point pressing out the center first. I believe this would stop the tendency for the cut to push the work away from the stops.
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.
https://myshedblog.wordpress.com/

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 01:09:29 PM »
This page seems to show what i suspect is the correct position http://www.cottandco.com/lots/fj-edwards-corner-notcher-on-stand click on the last picture
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 01:33:46 PM »
Now that is an interesting suggestion which I will investigate, and I thank you both. However the angles are set in stone (or rather tool steel!) and even if I can twirl it round they will still be unequal.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 06:50:41 AM »
A bit of progress. It turns out that a firm under the name of Kingsland is still operating out of Sheringham in Norfolk, and although no-one there has ever seen one of these foot operated notchers, a helpful chap in their service department managed to dig out a pamphlet with illustrations and scan it for me.

Seems that the direction of cut is set the same as mine and that the differing angles are original, and he was as puzzled as me how it ever worked on the side to side cut  :scratch:

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline RussellT

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 03:25:57 PM »
This link has some pictures of another one.

http://www.cottandco.com/lots/kingsland-w3-corner-notcher---1

The pamphlet you've put up suggests you can do square notches - which suggests a third cutting edge - but the table looks different so I'm not clear that it's the same machine.

Russell
Common sense is unfortunately not as common as its name suggests.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 03:34:53 PM »
Russell thanks for those pictures - interesting as they imply the cutting action starts at the point of the corner which is contrary to the manufacturers picture (which is how mine is set up). Also the angles look similar in steepness on both faces.

The .jpg I posted of the pamphlet is much lower resolution than the original .pdf that I have, and looking closely at the pictures the square notcher and triangle notcher are alternative punches that were available

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 05:52:18 PM »
I would suspect that whoever owned the one in russels link figured out that it doesnt push the work out that way. Although the first bit might need a fair bit of force in 1.5mm sheet.

Offline mechman48

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2014, 04:55:18 AM »
It would suggest the shear force starts at the rear left of the blade & progresses toward the centre point where the second shear force on the front takes over from the side hence giving you only one blade edge shear action at any one time, the stops would prevent the plate from moving either way, imagine trying to cut initially from the centre point on two sides, the amount of shear force required would be enormous  :scratch:   :smart:,  that's my 2 penn'orth anyway.

Cheers
George
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 09:04:51 AM »
I've resolved to make a new punch block with the same angle on the front shear as is currently on the fore & aft shear. Just need to find the roundtuit  :scratch:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2014, 11:35:06 AM »
This link has some pictures of another one.

http://www.cottandco.com/lots/kingsland-w3-corner-notcher---1

Russell

This one looks right to me, cutting the corner first as Shipto says. I think the reason they are at different angles is to reduce the pressure required (as they are cutting at different rates) to complete the cut. I think yours is just fitted the wrong way round awemawson.

Making a new one with both angles the same is unlikely to improve things.

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2014, 11:55:14 AM »
This one is similar to yours. And has the same angles?!

http://www.baileighindustrial.co.uk/sheet-metal-notcher-sn-f16-fn

If you click on the video it shows it cutting back to front first (then left to right) so perhaps yours is not mounted back to front?

There seems to be two different approaches to these corner notching machines but in both cases they use different angles. I can understand this when the machine cuts the corner first but not sure why if it uses the other cutting method!
Perhaps the blade can be rotated for some reason???

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2014, 05:10:24 PM »
This one is similar to yours. And has the same angles?!

http://www.baileighindustrial.co.uk/sheet-metal-notcher-sn-f16-fn

If you click on the video it shows it cutting back to front first (then left to right) so perhaps yours is not mounted back to front?

There seems to be two different approaches to these corner notching machines but in both cases they use different angles. I can understand this when the machine cuts the corner first but not sure why if it uses the other cutting method!
Perhaps the blade can be rotated for some reason???
Your quite right I am wondering about my advice myself now  :coffee: