Author Topic: My continued ER40 adventures.  (Read 2192 times)

Offline caskwith

My continued ER40 adventures.
« on: April 15, 2014, 09:09:42 AM »
(Please not I have no affiliation to the sellers mentioned)

Well following on from my previous thread here is the update. I purchase the MT2 ER40 holder and collets (from RDG). I was very pleased with the item when it arrived and tested it out for a couple of weeks. Everything went smoothly, the holder and collets were certainly  accurate enough for me and my needs. I purchased a ball bearing nut from ARC as for most jobs I don't require the spanner, hand tight was enough and the ball bearing nut has made this much easier and quicker.
So after a succesful test I have now decided to move forward with a sturdier solution for the lathe that will allow me to make the most of the limited spindle size I have.
I purchased the blackplate style ER40 chuck from Gloster and it arrived today. I turned up a piece of scrap and reverse-attached the chuck to test the runout on the outer edge, the back register surface and the inside register surface. After removing a few burrs to ensure a smooth surface I was very pleased to no more than 0.01mm runout on all surfaces and I think lot of this is probably "noise". This was much better than I was expecting. Hopefully in the next day or two my new backplate will arrive and I can machine it up to accept the new chuck and I will be in business. Another runout check will test my machining prowess! lol.
The MT2 holder will not be wasted, it can be used in my tailstock or drill press.

Thanks all for the help given here and wish me luck for the next stage.

Offline caskwith

Re: My continued ER40 adventures.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 11:53:19 AM »
Well the backplate arrived today, hard as hell and I had to use a carbide boring bar to turn it, destroyed my HSS bit the first time it touched.
Happy with the results though, runout is measured at 0.01mm :)