Author Topic: Collet chuck  (Read 5292 times)

Offline volcom7114

Collet chuck
« on: February 08, 2014, 11:15:27 AM »
Hello all I got this with a mill I bought I know I know its a #9 B&S taper but what i would like to know is what collets it takes so i could use it or at least know so if anyone happens to know what collets are used in this please let me know... its a B&S No.154..

Thanks Dennis

Offline flutedchamber

Re: Collet chuck
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 03:47:57 PM »
If I am correct in assuming that the last picture is of the outside of the collet nut / cap, could you show a picture of the inside of the nut / cap?

Offline volcom7114

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 03:12:32 PM »
Sorry for the delay both my son's are sick.. here are some close up pics of the chuck i hope you can help.. Thanks much!

Dennis

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 03:40:54 PM »
Hi there, Dennis,

The view of the interior of the cap looks to have tsomething similar to the eccentric or off-centre feature that takes hold of an ER family collet but that may be a trick of the light.

I suggest that you add yet another photograph, a side view of the male thread.  If you have the appropriate measuring apparatus, it would also help if you give us the overall diameter of the male thread and its pitch (turns per inch).

It may throw some light on your problem if we could compare the male thread parameters with those of various members of the ER collet chuck family.

Just my two penneth. 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline volcom7114

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 09:52:51 AM »
Hey Pete the threads themselves screw onto the chuck and not the collet and the "cap" isn't tapered to say center a collet but the hole is tapered ill take a few extra pics in different way and with a measurements also for you all to see.. It may be hard to see but their is a step down inside the chuck also im not sure how far down but ill be sure to put that on a pic also.. Thanks for the help with this I would like to use it but it wouldn't be cheap buying and testing collets until I found one that worked.

The mill i bought in an old Index mill model 45 and the spindle is #9 B&S I got some tooling with it but very limited and so all the R8 collets and tooling i had for my old mill is for right now worthless to me.. I did call Wells Index and they will regrind the spindle for R8 tooling for 286.00 plus 80.00 for a draw bar and you have to make a wood box to ship it to them and pay for shipping there and back so your looking at 5-600 bucks by the time its said and done and I don't have that right now.. :\  I did take the table and knee off the mill as who ever had it before me thought the grease zerk's were for well grease and pumped it full of grease!! I took it all part cleaned it up with mineral spirits and put it back together with the right oils also did it with the spindle and its workings.. I could just slap who ever did it I bet i took 15 lb of grease out of that machine no joke! works nice and smooth now :)

pics to come here

Thanks! Dennis

Offline volcom7114

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 10:54:57 AM »
Hope these help..

Offline volcom7114

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 10:58:50 AM »
a few more

Offline flutedchamber

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 11:31:43 PM »
Sorry for the long time for a reply.  The cold/flu is making it's way thru our house too.

http://www.tools-n-gizmos.com/index.html

You can look on his website, and if you can't find something that describes what you have, give him a call.  He's a very nice guy.  Anything that he describes that is for sale is described VERY conservatively.  If it says very good or excellent condition it looks almost new when you get the item.

Hope this helps.

Offline volcom7114

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 11:14:09 AM »
Thanks a ton! I hope you all get better soon its everywhere this year been rough on my son's schools wrestling team and then of course they drag it home and share the wealth.. lol

Dennis