Author Topic: How do I tell if my drill rod is oil or water hardening?  (Read 7619 times)

Offline Mike K

How do I tell if my drill rod is oil or water hardening?
« on: November 18, 2013, 03:50:10 PM »
I got some drill rod a while ago.  Some oil hardening, some water hardening.  I didn't mark it.  How can I tell which is which?

Offline tom osselton

Re: How do I tell if my drill rod is oil or water hardening?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 03:54:04 PM »
I wouldn't think it would make much difference

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 11:23:19 AM »
Mike,

One end of the rod or bar should be painted.  I believe that oil hardening rod/bar has a blue end (though I have not played in that sandbox long enough to be absolutely sure off the top of what's left of my mind).  A quick call to your local supplier should give you an absolutely correct answer.

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 01:02:00 PM »
Hi
     Drill  rod is normally supplied marked red for water hardening and yellow for oil. Should you have material with missing colour code you can use a spark test. The sparks from grinding are similar but not the same. If you have any material of known spec. you can spark test this and id the unknown rod.

Cheers David

Offline Mike K

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 04:24:57 PM »
I've got yellow, red, and green.  I've only ever bought oil or water hardening, though.  I have some where I must have mistakenly cut off the painted end, but I've found receipts for those.

I'm going with:
yellow = oil
red = water
green = pick one and forget about it :)

Thanks guys.

Offline TLGriff

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 07:39:52 PM »
Unfortunately color codes vary by manufacturer. To tell for sure, just heat a sample to a cherry red and quench it in oil, If it gets file hard, it's oil hardening, if not, it's probably water hardening (or pretty much anything else).

Tom

Offline superc

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 06:42:05 PM »
Yuh this actually sometimes becomes an issue here.  LoL that the teenage clerks in the local stores often have no idea what the different paint colors on the ends of the rods mean.   Red green yellow and blue I have rods with all 4.  80% of the time it all means nothing anyway.  I am just gonna cut off a length and tap it.  Instant bolt or nut.  No tempering involved.  Works.  Even brass will work for a few moments or years if it isn't a lot of pressure against the threads.  It is the other 20% of the time it becomes important.  Okay the magnet sticks, it must be ferrous.  Important when welding.  I pick up pieces of scrap metal fairly often.  Busted truck axles from old trashed dump trucks, big bolts, and sometimes I have no idea what it is.  Got a short rod downstairs the magnet sticks for a second or two, then it drops off.  What the heck is that?  We know from experience that fingernails on aluminum feel different than fingernails on iron or steel.  Give me a jewlers loupe and your pocket knife.  I will maybe be correct if I say it is probably carbon 1040, or declare it to be a cheap stainless, but maybe not.  The sparks from the grinder test helps, but it only gets us so far when identifying what kind of steel this is.  Also some metals, the dust is poisonous (also potentially explosive.flammable)  Got a purpleK extinguisher?  Think 10 times before machining something with berrylium in it.  Other types of metals can be bad too.  Anyone else remember that old 1960s Tennessee tale about the volunteer fire department that had a funky hunk of metal they used as an anvil out in back?  Lovely stuff, folks would gather around to watch when it was being beat on because with any hard blow it would emit a shower of sparks.  Bring your wife, bring your kids.  Everyone standing close and going oooo and ahhh at the fireworks show.  One day the boys from the old Atomic Energy Commision showed up and took it away.  Dug a pit and took all the soil that had been around the anvil too.  No explanation offered.  Draw your own conclusions.

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 08:55:57 PM »
Party pooper's?

Offline superc

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 03:59:06 PM »
LoL with hindsight I will always wonder how many of those townfolks enjoying the sparks show developed radiation induced illness or cancers and if Uncle did anything at all for them.  Just another strange cluster on the epidemiologists charts.