Author Topic: Abrasive media:Zirconium,Ally Oxide etc.  (Read 6897 times)

Offline Manxmodder

Abrasive media:Zirconium,Ally Oxide etc.
« on: January 26, 2014, 10:17:21 PM »
Been looking at ordering some new linishing, sanding belts and discs from Abtec abrasives.

I am wondering if anyone else has opinions on the superiority of Zirconium belts over the standard Aluminium Oxide option. I am informed the Zirconium are better cutting and longer lasting for metalwork.

Any opinions gratefully accepted....OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline micktoon

Re: Abrasive media:Zirconium,Ally Oxide etc.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 03:50:14 AM »
I have not tried the belt sander linisher belts other tham aluminium oxide that don seem to last that long , I have used lots of the 4 inch flexi type angle grinder discs in the past both aluminium oxide and blue zirconium type and the blue disca do last a lot longer.
 Keih Fenner seemed to rate them for belt sanders and if you look in general about the net places that are making things in a proper factory setting seem to use the blue belts more. I am planning on trying them.
 P.s I have jusr remembered there is a sticky thread on the British Blades knife making forum under a tools type section that goes right into various belt types in detail ou should get good info there, its a good forum too.

Cheers Mick.

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 04:14:47 PM »
Just a little update on the subject of blue zirconium abrasive sanding belts.

A friend and myself have been putting zirconium belts of various grades through some testing and I can happily report they are significantly better in all respects than the standard ally oxide versions.

The belts we have tested so far have all been 915mm x 100mm (36"x4")on a bench flat bed sander and
these were all purchased from Abtec abrasives ebay shop,in grit grades of 60,80,120.

I also have some Norton premium belts for the flat bed sander and also for my B&D Powerfile on order from BND Tapes & Abrasives which will be tested when they arrive.

One of the differences immediately noticeable with the Abtec belts is the butted and taped seam joint which is totally flat and is undetectable in use(no cyclical bumping like you get with lap jointed belts)

These belts stay sharp for longer and produce far more consistent results on metal and wood than any ally oxide belts I have ever used and I would highly recommend them to anyone considering making a purchase.

We will also be testing some ceramic grain abrasive belts in the near future and I'll let you all know what the verdict is when we've finished that trial.

One thing to be aware of is the cost of carriage is significantly cheaper on Abtec's ebay shop than ordering the product directly from them.......OZ.

Links to BND Abrasives and Abtec Abrasives  ebay shop below:
http://www.bndabrasives.co.uk/?gclid=CNmEhYmm_LwCFWT4wgod3jwALQ
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/abtecabrasives/

Offline micktoon

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 04:40:35 PM »
Cheers for that Oz , always good to hear from the 'horses mouth' so to speak rather than the person trying to sell them telling you how good they are, it will be interesting to see what these ceramic belts are like too.
  Happy sanding , Cheers Mick.

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 03:31:55 AM »
Morning Mick!

I used to go to a firm called George Belt(?) on the Byker side of the Byker Bridge.
Apparently, they are still there under SAL Abrasives now.

They used to make me belts for my sander and I bought wheels for my various grinders.

Well worth a visit. Hope this helps

Norman

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 02:46:20 PM »
Hi Norman,I've just googled SAL Abrasives and couldn't get any product price structure online so I have just emailed them with a request for prices.

I have to be honest and say that any supplier of consumables who don't advertise prices openly don't normally inspire me to make any further inquiries regarding their product range but we shall see what they come back with tomorrow.

The 2 suppliers who I have mentioned previously,Abtec Abrasives and BND Abrasives, both have excellent websites which provide immediate access to product price structures and quantity discounts available on their extensive ranges.

Earlier today I took delivery from BND Abrasives of fifty Norton Premium brand 13mm x 457mm powerfile belts in various grades in both ally oxide and zirconium grit form.

My initial impression is that they are a very well made belt with a flat butted seam like the previous ones supplied from Abtec.

I'll do some testing later and give a more comprehensive verdict on them.....OZ.

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 02:51:30 PM »
Cheers for that Oz , always good to hear from the 'horses mouth' so to speak rather than the person trying to sell them telling you how good they are, it will be interesting to see what these ceramic belts are like too.
  Happy sanding , Cheers Mick.

From the 'horses mouth'....Would you like your teeth abraded?.....Neigh. :lol:

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 05:08:05 PM »
I Googled Abtech for fun and then SAL and found that Abtech were agents seemingly for St Gobain which is the parent company( seemingly) for SAL with Unicorns and Universal -somewhere as  part and parcel.

So the millstones of the gods grind slow- but exceedingly fine :scratch:

Norman

Offline rick barnes

• Tapatalk User
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 11:05:01 PM »
If you look on the MOHs hardness scale, natural AlO3 has a hardness of 9, diamond being 10.  It's pretty hard.  Zirconium in natural state has a hardness of 8.  If you have Fused Zirconium, the kind they make under extreme heat and pressure has a hardness of 11 on the scale they updated for man-made stuff.  So it depends on the type of zirconium you get. 

http://www.reade.com/Particle_Briefings/mohs_hardness_abrasive_grit.html
Using Tapatalk

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 06:34:41 AM »
Hi rick,thanks for the additional info on grit hardness.

The zirconium grit on the belts I've been testing is indeed of the fused variety.

These belts are advertised as having greater longevity than ally oxide for general sanding,and especially so for working on hardened steel alloys.

The difference was really noticeable working on some rusted blocks of carbon steel I cleaned up.
I abraded all faces of 6 rusty steel blocks to full silver brightness on a 60 grit ally oxide belt and as the belt sharpness gradually reduced the frictional heat build up increased to a high level.

The same test with a 60 grit fused zirconium belt saw the sharpness of the grit bed in and dull down a little at the beginning and then remain in a consistently free cutting state and running a lot cooler than the ally oxide test.....OZ.

Offline rick barnes

• Tapatalk User
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 07:21:20 AM »
I will have to look for some of that paper.  I've used the aluminum oxide for a long time, but was unaware that they were doing anything with zircon but fake diamonds.
Using Tapatalk

Offline BaronJ

• Grumpy Old Git !
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 12:23:29 PM »
I've dealt with "Abtec Abrasives" several times and found them to be very helpful.  I would have no reservations about recommending them.

Anyway thanks for all the other information about the testing.  Very useful to know.

Best Regards:
                     Baron

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 04:20:51 PM »
Thanks Rick and Baron,for your input here.

Baron, I agree that Abtec are indeed very knowledgeable on abrasive technology and freely offer helpful advice but I have also been testing abrasive products from BND Abrasives and they also provide excellent advice and products.

I am currently trying to test one of BND's,Norton premium brand, 40 grit ally oxide powerfile belts to destruction.
It has so far withstood 25 minutes of extreme testing and is showing little sign of expiring despite the abuse I've given it.

More to follow on outcome of this test later.....OZ.

Offline rick barnes

• Tapatalk User
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 06:15:39 PM »
I've had great luck with Norton abrasives of all types.  I use their water stones for my woodworking tools.  Seem a bit more pricey than others.
Using Tapatalk